How to Port CM to Galaxy Ace 3 S7275R LTE

Hey all,

I have a Samsung Galaxy Ace 3 7275R LTE and touch wiz is killing me. It's really lagging me and I wish to install a custom ROM, preferably Cyanogenmod . But there isn't any released yet. I would like to port it myself since there doesn't seem to be any progress with the development if any. I read somewhere that I need the sock ROM sources to make life easier, so I did. But I have no idea what to do next.

I heard that a linux OS is needed to build the ROM. Do I need to install one? Can't I just run one in VitualBox? Also, how do you get files from the host to the VM? 

After building, is there some sort of emulator for me to test it before deploying to my Ace 3? I really do not want to brick it. My Ace 3 is not rooted yet. 

I can code Java but other than that, I'm quite lost in the building Android thingy. I'm also quite lost when bombarded with words like Repo, Forking, Committing. I read that with the source code, I've gotta head to the changes and see what the developer changed or something and I have to download the CM sources or something which is like 16GB? 

I need a lil advice.

Thanks in advance, much love,
Relations. 

Considered asking over at XDA? Might get far more knowledgeable responses from a dedicated site for Android Customization. 

MOBO - Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0   CPU - AMD Phenom II X6 1055T @ 3.5GHz - Corsair H80i   RAM - 2x Corsair Vengence 4GB DDR3 @ 1666 MHz   

GPU - SAPPHIRE 100362-3L Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X OC  Sound - ASUS Xonar DSX  PSU - Thermaltake SMART M Series SP-850M 850W

1-I heard that a linux OS is needed to build the ROM. Do I need to install one? Can't I just run one in VitualBox? Also, how do you get files from the host to the VM? 

2-After building, is there some sort of emulator for me to test it before deploying to my Ace 3? I really do not want to brick it. My Ace 3 is not rooted yet. 

3-I can code Java but other than that, I'm quite lost in the building Android thingy. I'm also quite lost when bombarded with words like Repo, Forking, Committing. I read that with the source code, I've gotta head to the changes and see what the developer changed or something and I have to download the CM sources or something which is like 16GB? 

1-yup you can have ubuntu on virtual machine 

2-nop you will need nandroid which requires clockworkmod or you will Odin flash files

3-Repo is a (repository) management tool that uploads your files to github and updates them once you change them,Forking: copying a code from another source to create your own 

also your chipset is same as i9195 (GS4 Mini) so you can port easily 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Hi, just some tips I found :

I don't know if it could be helpful.

I know about XDA, but I need a number of posts to be able to post on the developed section.

How am I supposed to transfer files into the VM running Ubuntu from Windows?

In the firmware scource code, there are some files named the same in a .tar.gz file. For example "lib6.HL" and "lib6.hl". How do I extract it now? They are different in size.

I found out how to get the file from Widows to the VM. Now, when I run .\build.sh it tells me that I need a parameter [mod]. In the readme file. I found the Ace 2 x to be same resolution so I tried to do the copy paste thing. But I cant seem to find the ROM online. The one I found had 2 files in it. A .tar.md5 file and a .dll . In the .tar.md5, the only things in there are the build image and recovery image. 

How can we help you ?

Now with the source, what do I do?

Fine. Let just say I should start from basics. Where should I start? The basics I meant was maybe learning Linux for example.

Fine. Let just say I should start from basics. Where should I start? The basics I meant was maybe learning Linux for example.

Well, I guess, that will take some time ^^

Here are few things you should learn:

* Using Linux

* Knowing the internals of the Linux Kernel, at least the basics.

* Kernel Modules

* More Linux

* Some android-specific things, that I don't know

* GIT(Most people forget about that; It's important!)

* Root your phone, try some things with the shell. You get to know more about android this way!

But the first thing you should do, when you try to port a custom ROM to your device, is check, if there's any familiar device out there, with the same SoC, and try to make it run on your Device. You may need some kind of serial connection for the phone, to debug the kernel & display drivers to get started.

This is a really hard thing though and you, even if it's unlikely, may brick your device!

If your device is slow, you may just want to uninstall all the TouchWiz junk! You can do that if you're rooted - You could also overclock your device, and do some other tweaks!

Hi, just some tips I found :

I don't know if it could be helpful.

Well, the Kernel sources from Samsung aren't complete - Things like the graphics module aren't open source afaik.

Docker requires a working device tree, as far as I see(First time I see that software, so I could be wrong...)

The S3 Mini kernel sources could be a good starting point for learning how porting works...

But I'm not a ROM Developer/Porter. For somemore advanced advice check out XDA.

• 4 months later...