looking to upgrade

hi currently I have a system consisting of 

intel core i5 7600k

16gb ddr 4 3000MHz

asus z270f motherboard

asus gtx 1060 6GB gpu

corsair H115i pro. 

I do play vr games(half life alyx) It will run the games but seems to be struggling recently as the pc at least 3 years old and was never built with high end parts as i was on a budget.

so im hoping someone can point me in the direction to what i should upgrade next. im not looking at building top end pc eg i9,rtx 2080 etc. 

What is your budget?

Ideally you're looking at either a ryzen 5 3600 or maybe an i5 10400F or 10600F (maybe wait for the new r5 3600XT) and

An rtx 2060 super/RX 5700(XT or non-xt), they should make for a solid upgrade and will provide a significantly better experience.

Now there are 2 things to keep in mind, AMD is planning to launch a refresh of their current chips, I believe they have higher clocks and better overclocking. And AMD and nvidia will launch their next generation gpu's around Q4 this year. So if you can wait for that, then I'd suggest doing so. If the upgrade is a must then go for it. I'll leave a pc part picker list below, assuming that you're going to reuse, the PSU, ram, case and storage from your current system.

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $166.89 @ Walmart
Motherboard MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard $114.99 @ Best Buy
Video Card MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB MECH OC Video Card $379.99 @ B&H
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $681.87
  Mail-in rebates -$20.00
  Total $661.87
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-06 09:12 EDT-0400  

• b450m ds3h motherboard, it would allow you to overclock your current ram to 3200mhz and it will be able to support the future 4000 series cpu's

• rx 5700 xt, its just about as powerful as a 2070 super but for a good amount cheaper.

• ryzen 5 3600, it wont be the bottleneck of any normal pc and its not too overly expensive.

• your current AIO should support am4 cpu's so you can still use it with the ryzen 5 3600

------

b450m ds3h https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-b450m-ds3h/p/N82E16813145083?Description=b450m ds3h&cm_re=b450m_ds3h-_-13-145-083-_-Product&quicklink=true (is currently out of stock at amazon)

rx 5700 xt https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Graphics-256-Bit-Gv-R57XTGAMING-OC-8GD/dp/B07W95D5V3/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=rx+5700+xt&qid=1591449524&sr=8-5

ryzen 5 3600 https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-5-3600/p/N82E16819113569?Description=ryzen 5 3600&cm_re=ryzen_5_3600-_-19-113-569-_-Product&quicklink=true (is out of stock at amazon for the next century)

------

altogether it would be around $650

the b450m is a good cheap motherboard that has all the features you will ever need 

the rx 5700 xt gigabyte gaming oc is by far the most stable rx 5700 xt 

and the ryzen 5 3600 is a great processor and just happens to be on sale.

Your current CPU is actually very capable with a good overclock on it. What's the max you can get it to? You could probably delid the fucker and push it even harder. 

If you're running it at around 5GHz I don't think it'll bottleneck even a 2080 Super at 1440p 144hz

1 minute ago, Aereldor said:

Your current CPU is actually very capable with a good overclock on it. What's the max you can get it to? You could probably delid the fucker and push it even harder. 

If you're running it at around 5GHz I don't think it'll bottleneck even a 2080 Super at 1440p 144hz

stability is far more important than raw power

1 hour ago, Aereldor said:

Im only running it at 4.2. Thats the turbo clock speed 

what sort of options have i got if i stay with intel so i dont need to change the board. 

Just now, jamiegrujic1001 said:

what sort of options have i got if i stay with intel so i dont need to change the board. 

i7 7700k is the best you'll get unfortunately, and it won't be a huge improvement.

17 minutes ago, jamiegrujic1001 said:

Im only running it at 4.2. Thats the turbo clock speed 

Instead of shelling out $350 on a used 7700k (yes that's what they're selling for on eBay, they're fuckin trippin), overclock it. You have an AIO for christ's sake. You'll gain way more from overclocking it to 4.8+ than you will from upgrading to a 7700k.

If the very thought of overclocking despite being completely equipped for it is making you tremble in fear... Well, for $200 you could just buy a Ryzen 3600 and B450 motherboard bundle at Micro Center and re-use your RAM. 

1 hour ago, Aereldor said:

i7 7700k is the best you'll get unfortunately, and it won't be a huge improvement.

Instead of shelling out $350 on a used 7700k (yes that's what they're selling for on eBay, they're fuckin trippin), overclock it. You have an AIO for christ's sake. You'll gain way more from overclocking it to 4.8+ than you will from upgrading to a 7700k.

If the very thought of overclocking despite being completely equipped for it is making you tremble in fear... Well, for $200 you could just buy a Ryzen 3600 and B450 motherboard bundle at Micro Center and re-use your RAM. 

ok will look into overclocking my current cpu and see how it goes. will deffo get a rx5700 8gb tho sometime soon

• 3 weeks later...

So i have upgraded my gpu to a rx 5700xt and over clocked my cpu to 4.6ghz stable. Im struggling to get it above that.However in some games i still see the cpu is maxed and limiting me to the hight textures and getting massive frame rate drops every now and then. Should i upgrade the cpu to a amd ryzen 5 3600. I would like to not have to upgrade it in 3 years again.. 

• 2 months later...

just want to check these would work before buying or if theres anything i should know about the product. So im looking at getting a 3700x and an asus strix B450-F MB. this would be used with a corsair h115i pro aio cooler. then corsair vengence ddr4 at 300mhz and a fxf 5700xt gpu. all powered with a corsair cx550w psu.