My First Build

Hiya, 

This is my first time building a PC my past PCs have all been prebuilts my last PC was a Gateway SX2802 which I used from 2009 until 2020.... anyway below is my new PC which is a mix of new and used parts.

CPU - i3 8100 (Used)

GPU - RX580 8GB Nitro+ Sapphire OC (Used)

PSU - FSP Hexa+ 500w (Used)

RAM - T-Force RGB 16GB 2666mhz DDR4 (2x8Gb) (New)

MOBO - Asus PRIME B365M-A mATX (New)

STORAGE - Crucial P1 1TB NVMe (New) / 1TB Seagate HDD (from 2009 needs to be replaced to SSD eventually) (Used)

COOLER - Cooler Master AIO ML120 RGB (Used)

CASE FANS - AUP Kara 120mm RGB Ring (New)

CASE - Phanteks P300 Black (Used)

Happy for any feedback or comments again my first build so be gentle :)

20200604_180451.jpg

20200604_173732.jpg

20200420_151538.jpg

20200424_133126.jpg

1 minute ago, NZgamer said:

I think it would have been a better option to go for an air cooler over an AIO for an 8100

that may be true but hey maybe he plans to upgrade the cpu down the line and just has the cooler for it now 

average fl studio fan vs average cubase enjoyer

rubber dome apologist

if you are reading this you are contracted the gae

Yeah.. I know its overkill for an 8100 but I got the cooler for $50 used and personal preference but I think AIO's look cooler excuse the pun also I plan on upgrading the CPU when everyone jumps to AMD or the 10th Gen Intel used Intel CPUs are going to be really cheap

1 hour ago, WubGuy said:

that may be true but hey maybe he plans to upgrade the cpu down the line and just has the cooler for it now 

But for some reason built on LGA1151 - dead platform... Could have spent a bunch of that money more wisely, on a 3300x, b450, and a decent mouse and maybe a less, uh, loud mousepad.

But all things said this build is fine...

i5 12600KF | Zotac RTX 4080 Gaming trinity | Team Vulcan 2x16GB DDR4 3600 | ASRock Z690M-ITX/ac | WD Black SN850x 2TB

Cooler Master NR200P v2 | ID Cooling Zoomflow 280 XT | SeaSonic Focus SGX-750 | Thermalright 2x140mm + 2x120mm aRGB

LG C2 OLED 48" 120hz | Epomaker TH80 (Gateron Yellow) | Logitech MX Master 3 | Koss Porta Pro Comm

honestly if you could, id suggest taking back parts and redo the whole build. if you need help with a cheap one or for whatever your price point is i can help out!

PC SPECS

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x GPU: ASUS TUF GTX 1660 Super RAM: 16 GB 3200mhz 

Case: NZXT H510 PSU: Alienware prebuild 800 watt fully modular

14 minutes ago, the erector. said:

honestly if you could, id suggest taking back parts and redo the whole build. if you need help with a cheap one or for whatever your price point is i can help out!

Can I ask why? most of the parts are used so cannot take it back.

Performance wise it does everything I need I came from using a 2009 prebuilt Q8600 CPU and ATi RADEON 1GB GPU and 4GB DDR2 RAM so it feels plenty fast enough and I haven't come across any bottle necking.... I spent $700 NZD total for this build which is $448 USD

37 minutes ago, DemcoRage said:

Can I ask why? most of the parts are used so cannot take it back.

Performance wise it does everything I need I came from using a 2009 prebuilt Q8600 CPU and ATi RADEON 1GB GPU and 4GB DDR2 RAM so it feels plenty fast enough and I haven't come across any bottle necking.... I spent $700 NZD total for this build which is $448 USD

It's fine. There's an upgrade path, and although it's a few generations behind, you don't need the cutting edge. 

Some RX 580s are good overclockers. Look into it! The RX 580 came out 4 years ago and today it's competitive with NVidia's newest and far more expensive products - the wee fucker competes with a 1660 super in 2020 haha.

i5 12600KF | Zotac RTX 4080 Gaming trinity | Team Vulcan 2x16GB DDR4 3600 | ASRock Z690M-ITX/ac | WD Black SN850x 2TB

Cooler Master NR200P v2 | ID Cooling Zoomflow 280 XT | SeaSonic Focus SGX-750 | Thermalright 2x140mm + 2x120mm aRGB

LG C2 OLED 48" 120hz | Epomaker TH80 (Gateron Yellow) | Logitech MX Master 3 | Koss Porta Pro Comm

48 minutes ago, the erector. said:

Shitty suggestion. He's already built it, why would you even comment that... ugh

@DemcoRage okay this might sound silly, but use either electrical tape or sharpie to hide/paint the coloured cables from your PSU - it'll make it look a lot better. Especially the ones on the 24pin

14 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

@DemcoRage okay this might sound silly, but use either electrical tape or sharpie to hide/paint the coloured cables from your PSU - it'll make it look a lot better. Especially the ones on the 24pin

Good idea, I was looking at some cable extensions and combs to make it look nicer but as a temporary thing that will work well.

18 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

It's fine. There's an upgrade path, and although it's a few generations behind, you don't need the cutting edge. 

Some RX 580s are good overclockers. Look into it! The RX 580 came out 4 years ago and today it's competitive with NVidia's newest and far more expensive products - the wee fucker competes with a 1660 super in 2020 haha.

Oh yes I know... I don't care for latest and greatest what I care about is can it run my games nicely? I will only upgrade when I find a really good deal like to good to pass up because the used market in my country is pretty honest and you get some great deals, or when games I want to play run terrible or not at all..... so when choosing my motherboard I made sure it is compatible with 9th Gen Intel as well so I can upgrade eventually when 9th Gens go super cheap. I also care aesthetics but thats about it also you are right about the RX580 its an amazing budget card I paid $250 NZD ($160 USD) for my RX580 hardly used looked brand new box and all and most of my games can run smooth at very high / ultra. Whenever asked I always recommend it for budget builds 

Just now, DemcoRage said:

Good idea, I was looking at some cable extensions and combs to make it look nicer but as a temporary thing that will work well.

Oh yes I know... I don't care for latest and greatest what I care about is can it run my games nicely? I will only upgrade when I find a really good deal like to good to pass up because the used market in my country is pretty honest and you get some great deals, or when games I want to play run terrible or not at all..... so when choosing my motherboard I made sure it is compatible with 9th Gen Intel as well so I can upgrade eventually when 9th Gens go super cheap. I also care aesthetics but thats about it also you are right about the RX580 its an amazing budget card I paid $250 NZD ($160 USD) for my RX580 hardly used looked brand new box and all and most of my games can run smooth at very high / ultra. Whenever asked I always recommend it for budget builds 

Hold up, what? 

That's a pretty terrible price for a used RX 580. I wouldn't pay much more than $100 used, and it goes for $160 brand new. Are prices really that stupidly high in New Zealand that someone thinks $160 for an RX 580 is a good deal?

Never mind, I just saw that an RX 580 in New Zealand goes for $400 NZD - 250 USD. What the fuck that's insanely high. 

Just now, Aereldor said:

Hold up, what? 

That's a pretty terrible price for a used RX 580. I wouldn't pay much more than $100 used, and it goes for $160 brand new. Are prices really that stupidly high in New Zealand that someone thinks $160 for an RX 580 is a good deal?

Yes.... a brand new Armour RX580 sells for $400+ NZD 

Just now, Aereldor said:

Never mind, I just saw that an RX 580 in New Zealand goes for $400 NZD - 250 USD. What the fuck that's insanely high. 

Yeah.. so you see why I want to stick with used parts and don't want the newest stuff now? Stupid expensive...

1 minute ago, DemcoRage said:

Yeah.. so you see why I want to stick with used parts and don't want the newest stuff now? Stupid expensive...

Okay, well you've built a good PC that should last you a while before you need to upgrade. Even today - especially today with AMD's honestly unbelievable driver support, the RX 580 can run pretty much anything at 1080p. I'd get a freesync monitor if at all possible, that really helps. 

Oh, and please get a new mouse and mousepad. I recommend the Logitech MX Master if you can find one used, and the Steelseries QCK mousepad.

2 hours ago, Aereldor said:

Oh, and please get a new mouse and mousepad. I recommend the Logitech MX Master if you can find one used, and the Steelseries QCK mousepad.

That picture is old I have a razer mouse now 

2 hours ago, Aereldor said:

Okay, well you've built a good PC that should last you a while before you need to upgrade. Even today - especially today with AMD's honestly unbelievable driver support, the RX 580 can run pretty much anything at 1080p. I'd get a freesync monitor if at all possible, that really helps. 

Yup got a 75hz free sync 24inch 1920x1080 viewsonic

11 hours ago, Aereldor said:

Hold up, what? 

The used market is also unbelievably tiny, though it does mean you can get decent resale on your old parts. I don't live there anymore but I looked online at some of the PC stores and it looks like the coronavirus shipping situation is making things even worse than usual.

@DemcoRage Nice build bro, well done on the used deals and getting some nice aesthetics in there. Building in NZ usually means we can't afford to be picky/matchy with looks so good on ya.