Wifes job is installing this in my house

Dreamer758

It appears to be a router that is meant for businesses. It provides more features and security than standard commercial routers.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

What zues said. It's basically a hub for all your ethernet cables that provides a safer and faster connection.

(I have a habit of oversimplifying things)

If they want it plugged in directly to your cable/DSL modem (or fiber ONT), replacing your own router, then yeah it’ll affect other things in the house. But more likely they will want it connected to your existing network, and then her other work supplied stuff plugs into it. So the only devices it would affect is her work stuff.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

4 hours ago, brwainer said:

If they want it plugged in directly to your cable/DSL modem (or fiber ONT), replacing your own router, then yeah it’ll affect other things in the house. But more likely they will want it connected to your existing network, and then her other work supplied stuff plugs into it. So the only devices it would affect is her work stuff.

Agreed. If it's anything like what I have installed then it goes behind everything else although (in my case) they do give you the option to use it as your main router with specific ports being for work and everything else bypassing 802.1x authentication and being passthrough ports. It will form a VPN tunnel back to the office and allow users to wire in, with 802.1x usually. I've got a Cisco 1111 router which is combined wired and wireless access.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

On 5/31/2020 at 11:58 PM, brwainer said:

Thats exacty what happened i had to put my Comcast router in bridged mode whatever that is and it disabled all wifi functions and extra Ethernet ports have a new router on the way that they will reimburse me for it but it has to connect threw the ciso thing kinda pissed because I dont want it to affect my latency and bandwith also probobly have to run my PIA vpn all the time now to keep my stuff private

On 6/1/2020 at 4:44 AM, Lurick said:

Agreed. If it's anything like what I have installed then it goes behind everything else although (in my case) they do give you the option to use it as your main router with specific ports being for work and everything else bypassing 802.1x authentication and being passthrough ports. It will form a VPN tunnel back to the office and allow users to wire in, with 802.1x usually. I've got a Cisco 1111 router which is combined wired and wireless access.

hmm ill have to look into that i would like to find a way to bypass all the rest of the household traffic dont vpns usually slows stuff down?

On 6/1/2020 at 7:13 AM, Blue4130 said:

Why is it your wife's job to install it? Should be your job to install it. (dad joke) 

I ended up having to install it on the hardware side lol

25 minutes ago, Dreamer758 said:

hmm ill have to look into that i would like to find a way to bypass all the rest of the household traffic dont vpns usually slows stuff down?

It depends on how they set it up. For me it's just a specific set of ports that go through the VPN, everything else is just dropped out the connected interface without the VPN but I've not really messed with mine too much because I have it setup so only my work stuff goes into it.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: