B450 or wait for more expensive B550?

I am listing the pc components for my next build and I am deciding which chipset to buy so as to pair it with an r3 3300x. I would also like to have upgradeability options for ryzen 4000. Therefore, the decision is mostly about whether all B450 motherboards will get support for ryzen 4000, or if I should wait for B550 launch and buy a motherboard that is guaranteed to support zen 3. Thanks in advance.

I would enjoy a B450 now and then even see if PCIe 4.0 matters to you in the future and then you can upgrade.  You'll save quite a bit of money now and have a board now.  As to future support, MSI is the only on to come out and say they will have 4000 series support on their B450 and X470 motherboards....so that B450 Tomahawk Max is a great deal right now for $115!

Consultant by day, terrible youtuber by night.  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDDr_uxt6MSeUTsd8hmDOXw

I am to wait anyways. Neither r3 3300x nor MAX msi motherboard lineup has arrived to my country yet. Older B450 motherboards won´t have support?

1 minute ago, segusantos said:

Older B450 motherboards won´t have support?

It's up to the board manufacturer to whether they release update for Zen3, so some B450 will support it some won't. Also remember that if you update the B450 to support for Zen3, you lose support for every other cpu before Zen3, that is no  3000, 2000, or 1000 series amd cpu's.

The B550 would be a better choice I believe, you get support for both Zen3 and Zen2 and additionally, you get PCIE 4.0 support, which while not extremely useful now, it most likely will be in the future, and additionally I can't imagine the B550 boards costing more than 20-30$ more compared to their b450 counterparts.

7 minutes ago, segusantos said:

I am to wait anyways. Neither r3 3300x nor MAX msi motherboard lineup has arrived to my country yet. Older B450 motherboards won´t have support?

MSI has stated they will have support on  ALL of their boards, even the "non" Max boards.  Other manufactures have not yet committed to any strategy.  But from what I understand ASUS was the least supportive of adding support...but it's each board manufacturers decision

If you are going to wait and don't mind spending the extra for a B550, you will get PCIe 4.0 support and guaranteed Ryzen 4000 support.  If that's important to you, the by all means wait.

Consultant by day, terrible youtuber by night.  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDDr_uxt6MSeUTsd8hmDOXw

tbh it depends on the deal. I was waiting to get a B550, but last week I bought a brand new Asus ROG STRIX B450-F for 100€ (I live in Spain, we have 21% VAT) so I throw my patience for B550 and got that lol. If you dont have limited budget and you can wait, wait.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.4GHz 1.2v / GPU: MSI Radeon RX 5700 Mech OC GP (5700XT Bios) @ 2GHz / MB: Asus ROG Strix B450-F / RAM: Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16 / CASE: MSI MAG Vampiric 010X