Ryzen 5 2600 CPU temperatures and voltages spiking while idle on the desktop

Aren2k

Hi,

I'm running a Ryzen 5 2600 with the stock Wraith Stealth Cooler on a MSI Tomahawk B450 Max board with a MSI 1650 Super. When the system is sitting at the desktop running only ryzen master, the temps jump from 47C-62C sporadically and the voltages go from ~1.26V to 1.3V, also the CPU EDC reading is staying between 92-100%. I flashed the bios to the most recent update .306, updated the ryzen b450 drivers and have the appropriate CPU and GPU drivers, I also tried to solve the EDC issue by changing the minimum processor state but no luck and lost on what to do next. 

You need to turn the load line calibration down and try a negative 0.050 voltage offset on the vcore. What you're seeing is a single core pop up to full speed for a moment and the associated spike in temps, with the vcore and LLC turned down those voltages will be closer to 1.2 volts for single core max boost which is usually just fine for Zen+ CPU's.

9 minutes ago, Bitter said:

You need to turn the load line calibration down and try a negative 0.050 voltage offset on the vcore. What you're seeing is a single core pop up to full speed for a moment and the associated spike in temps, with the vcore and LLC turned down those voltages will be closer to 1.2 volts for single core max boost which is usually just fine for Zen+ CPU's.

I'm a first time builder so for clarification sake do I have to adjust all those voltages in the BIOS or in Ryzen Master?

3 minutes ago, Aren2k said:

I'm a first time builder so for clarification sake do I have to adjust all those voltages in the BIOS or in Ryzen Master?

I'd go for BIOS, I think Ryzen Master makes those changes to BIOS for you if you go that way but I'm not sure. 

Also may be worth installing the latest Chipset driver from AMD if you don't have it already and use the Ryzen Balanced power plan that comes with it.

Just now, aDoomGuy said:

I'd go for BIOS, I think Ryzen Master makes those changes to BIOS for you if you go that way but I'm not sure. 

Also may be worth installing the latest Chipset driver from AMD if you don't have it already and use the Ryzen Balanced power plan that comes with it.

Ok thanks, and I already have it on the Ryzen Balanced Power setting

You can also set the minimum processor state to 0% without any real ill effects to be had. Mine is there, has been there, have had no problems. My 2700X idles down real low and cool to about 15-18W TDP sitting at Windows Desktop with a lower LLC and lower offset voltage.

https://superuser.com/questions/1385100/side-effects-of-lowering-minimum-processor-state-under-power-options-to-5-for-a

On 5/30/2020 at 4:13 PM, Bitter said:

You can also set the minimum processor state to 0% without any real ill effects to be had. Mine is there, has been there, have had no problems. My 2700X idles down real low and cool to about 15-18W TDP sitting at Windows Desktop with a lower LLC and lower offset voltage.

https://superuser.com/questions/1385100/side-effects-of-lowering-minimum-processor-state-under-power-options-to-5-for-a

I am a little nervous to change the LLC and and VCore offset voltage are they safe to do?

Also for more reference this is how the system is currently behaving https://imgur.com/a/V0qrY8t

10 minutes ago, Aren2k said:

I am a little nervous to change the LLC and and VCore offset voltage are they safe to do?

Also for more reference this is how the system is currently behaving https://imgur.com/a/V0qrY8t

You don't need to change anything. Everything is good and normal.

The fluctuation you see at idle is the result of single core XFR boosting. 

The temp jumps are a direct result of transistor density. Some 4.8 billion transistors there to be exact. Not all in a single core however. 

A single core has 800 million transistors. 

To put that into perspective, the previous AM3+ (FX) platform was only up to 1200 million for an entire 8 cores. 

You really only need to worry about your full load temps. 

The guts of your 2600

ryzen-die.png.289591e029b3c2403008e4e8668e1e0c.png

4 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

You don't need to change anything. Everything is good and normal.

The fluctuation you see at idle is the result of single core XFR boosting. 

The temp jumps are a direct result of transistor density. Some 4.8 billion transistors there to be exact. Not all in a single core however. 

A single core has 800 million transistors. 

To put that into perspective, the previous AM3+ (FX) platform was only up to 1200 million for an entire 8 cores. 

You really only need to worry about your full load temps. 

The guts of your 2600

ryzen-die.png.289591e029b3c2403008e4e8668e1e0c.png

Ok Thanks!

What would be an ideal way to test the load temps, Cinebench R20 or in-game and what temps should I be looking for?

Just now, Aren2k said:

Ok Thanks!

What would be an ideal way to test the load temps, Cinebench R20 or in-game and what temps should I be looking for?

You can do Cinebnech runs, but they are pretty short in time. But it never hurts to look real quick, so yes test with this.

Gaming temps should be watched as well. Your processor will throttle at 90c (some boards at 85c) and you will see performance loss.

If you haven't seen any performance loss or frame rate loss, then you are likely running under the throttle temp. That's good.

The readings in Ryzen Master are motherboard capabilities. Sustained loads and peaks differ. You're not hitting 100% of peak capability, so your only looking at an indicator. The board is enough to handle the cpu at full load according to the Electric Design Current or EDC. Just an indicator. You can't change these numbers without upgrading the mother board. My B450-I peaks at 225amp but will say I'm 90% of 95amp or whatever. I literally just ignore it.

8 minutes ago, Aren2k said:

Ok Thanks!

Anything under 90c is fine on a full load. Same with gaming which should just naturally be lower because your not loading the chip as much.

3 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Anything under 90c is fine on a full load. Same with gaming which should just naturally be lower because your not loading the chip as much.

Ok thanks for the help but the only thing I find odd is that the EDC is still going into the red and staying there

1 minute ago, Aren2k said:

Ok thanks for the help but the only thing I find odd is that the EDC is still going into the red and staying there

Everybody's does that. Some people's PPT goes in the red. 

It's only an indication that your near the sustained amp load capabilities of the board for what the processor will pull.

Mine goes red and drops down just like yours and my VRM package is way better. But I'm using a 105w chip 2700x which is about the max I could put into this board safely and sustain a full load 100% of the time. 

Since you are not passing 90amp draw, you have nothing to worry about.

As long as the rig is on auto, it will never go past the Electrical Design Current 100% of 90amps. It controls this by itself. 

It's called "SenseMi Technology"

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Everybody's does that. Some people's PPT goes in the red. 

It's only an indication that your near the sustained amp load capabilities of the board for what the processor will pull.

Mine goes red and drops down just like yours and my VRM package is way better. But I'm using a 105w chip 2700x which is about the max I could put into this board safely and sustain a full load 100% of the time. 

Since you are not passing 90amp draw, you have nothing to worry about.

As long as the rig is on auto, it will never go past the Electrical Design Current 100% of 90amps. It controls this by itself. 

It's called "SenseMi Technology"

Thanks for the help truly, I spent my entire weekend panicking about this. I'll go check the in game temps and decide if i want to turn on the game boost option in the bios