Windows 7 (Old PC) to Windows 10 (New PC)

Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

You should format the old SSD  (well, basically let Windows 10 erase your SSD during installation) and install Windows 10.

If you want to, you can make a backup of your SSD using free software like Macrium Reflect (which creates an exact image of your SSD) or you can just select some folders and make a zip file that you save to your other drives, before you install Windows.

You may have files in your downloads, or my documents or some places that you want to keep  (see the C Users folder, that's where your profile is stored... it may be hidden but you can go in Windows Explorer options and check the option to show hidden or system files, or just use a better file explorer software, like Total Commander for example)

The other drives can simply be moved to the new computer, just connect the SATA data and power cables. Have a look in the motherboard manual, because SOME sata data connectors may be disabled when you install a M.2 SSD so you may have to avoid some sata data connectors if you're using m.2 drives, otherwise those sata drives may not show up.

Sometimes you may have to perform an additional step... you may have to go in Disk Management (in control panel, or just type the words in the search box) and right click on the drives and select Enable or Activate or something to that effect.

Hi, guys

I got an old pc with HDD (Drive D & E) and SSD (Drive C with windows 7)

I going to install windows 10 in a new PC using old SSD and HDD

Do I need to format my SSD in the old PC before installing in a new one,

and can I use my old HDD without formatting (Plug and use) ?

Thanks

You should format the old SSD  (well, basically let Windows 10 erase your SSD during installation) and install Windows 10.

If you want to, you can make a backup of your SSD using free software like Macrium Reflect (which creates an exact image of your SSD) or you can just select some folders and make a zip file that you save to your other drives, before you install Windows.

You may have files in your downloads, or my documents or some places that you want to keep  (see the C Users folder, that's where your profile is stored... it may be hidden but you can go in Windows Explorer options and check the option to show hidden or system files, or just use a better file explorer software, like Total Commander for example)

The other drives can simply be moved to the new computer, just connect the SATA data and power cables. Have a look in the motherboard manual, because SOME sata data connectors may be disabled when you install a M.2 SSD so you may have to avoid some sata data connectors if you're using m.2 drives, otherwise those sata drives may not show up.

Sometimes you may have to perform an additional step... you may have to go in Disk Management (in control panel, or just type the words in the search box) and right click on the drives and select Enable or Activate or something to that effect.

Alright I will just format it in the during the installation

and maybe try to use the software or just copy my file to another drive,

I read the manual for M2_2 second port use up the SATA_3 port, but it didn't matter because i got a SATA SSD

Thank you so much for the help, mariushm