AW17R4 PL2 and EDP other limits on stock cpu clock speeds!!! HELP PLEASE LINUS!!

Someone help me please i have bought a AW17R4 i7-7820hk 32gb ram and gtx 1080 and i have limit issues at stock speed and overclocked i have tried everything in throttlestop and xtu. someone please help.

8 minutes ago, AceBoogie said:

Someone help me please i have bought a AW17R4 i7-7820hk 32gb ram and gtx 1080 and i have limit issues at stock speed and overclocked i have tried everything in throttlestop and xtu. someone please help.

could you show us what it's being limited to? 

let me know if you need to know anything else. Thank you in advance for anyone who even tries to help me.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/97464/intel-core-i7-7820hk-processor-8m-cache-up-to-3-90-ghz.html

The 7820HK has a 45W TDP rating. What are your turbo power limits set to in the TPL window? Your CPU is being limited to 50W. PL2 is the short term power limit so this is either set to 50W in the TPL window or Dell has set this limit internally. Some Dell laptops enforce these power limits and there is nothing you can do about it. Dell usually sets the long term power limit equal to the TDP so this might be set to 45W in the TPL window or internally.

Try using the FIVR - Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits feature. It appears that you have already installed the RwDrv.sys file into your ThrottleStop folder.

Your voltage is set to Adaptive. Not sure why you have the voltage slider set to 0.2197 Volts. Drag that voltage slider all the way to the left. It should say Default for core and cache. 

2 hours ago, unclewebb said:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/97464/intel-core-i7-7820hk-processor-8m-cache-up-to-3-90-ghz.html

The 7820HK has a 45W TDP rating. What are your turbo power limits set to in the TPL window? Your CPU is being limited to 50W. PL2 is the short term power limit so this is either set to 50W in the TPL window or Dell has set this limit internally. Some Dell laptops enforce these power limits and there is nothing you can do about it. Dell usually sets the long term power limit equal to the TDP so this might be set to 45W in the TPL window or internally.

Try using the FIVR - Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits feature. It appears that you have already installed the RwDrv.sys file into your ThrottleStop folder.

Your voltage is set to Adaptive. Not sure why you have the voltage slider set to 0.2197 Volts. Drag that voltage slider all the way to the left. It should say Default for core and cache. 

ok so since I posted last I had to unplug the cmos battery to reset the bios so the computer would boot again. I uninstalled throttlestops ini file and downloaded xtu. no matter what I change the settings to in xtu I get power throttled. I was wondering what would cause it to throttle even at stock speeds and let me know what screens you need to see please I would just like to get something close to what I was told I could overclock this thing 2. Thank you again for helping me.

Also if I set the tpl to 45 it is PLT (power limit throttling) right away under load. So wouldn't this suggest that there is something wrong either internally or in the settings or bios? Also there is a lot of fluctuation in the package and core temps I have repasted with Thermal Grizzly Kryo so that is not a issue. 

23 minutes ago, AceBoogie said:

if I set the tpl to 45 it is PLT (power limit throttling) right away under load.

45W is not enough to run a 7820HK at its full rated speed. Throttling is by design. If you do not or cannot increase the turbo power limits, this CPU will power limit throttle during a stress test. For maximum performance, both of the turbo power limits will have to be over 60W.

Your cooling might not be able to handle that. Dell might have locked your power limits internally so increasing them might not be possible.

During a stress test, the package temperature should be equal to the highest core temperature. The package temperature is not a separate temperature sensor. It simply compares all of the individual core sensors as well as any other temperature sensors within the CPU package. When loaded, the peak core temperature is going to be the hottest spot in the CPU package so these temperatures should be equal. 

so is there a way to find out if it is locked internally is there a written file I can look for or something? Since last night I have been messing around all night basically and I am massively undervolted now and am running at 4192mhz with no throttle. I am guessing you are right about the internal tpl. there should be a way to bypass something like that I should be able to use this to its full potential.

and something else I am idling at this speed can you tell me how to make it idle like it should please?

image.png

Yet here we go again I don't see how it could be a limiter I don't know the good news is its only edp other now

image.thumb.png.9ac90944cf71860903bd87b8a9d8fad2.png

14 hours ago, AceBoogie said:

can you tell me how to make it idle like it should please?

If you want a lower CPU speed when idle, switch to the Windows Balanced power profile. Better yet, use ThrottleStop to enable Speed Shift Technology and then set the Speed Shift EPP variable on the main screen to 80. Speed Shift Technology gives faster off idle response compared to the traditional Windows Balanced power profile. A Speed Shift EPP setting of 0 will ask the CPU for maximum performance.

There is one power limit register in your CPU that contains the long and short turbo power limits as well as the turbo time limit. Your screenshot above shows that you are using 2 different programs that are both writing different data to this one CPU register. What program is in charge of your CPU? It is best to use Intel XTU or ThrottleStop but not both at the same time.

I don't see how it could be a limiter

Intel XTU is showing that Power Limit Throttling has begun. The package power is reporting 62W. The turbo power limits you set in Intel XTU are either being ignored or they were overwritten by ThrottleStop. Reboot, only run one of these programs and then do some more testing.

I should be able to use this to its full potential.

Alienware laptops are not as enthusiast friendly as they used to be. Many of their recent laptops have locked power limits and there is no easy way to get beyond these limits.

you say no easy way..... whats the hard way??? 

Go into the BIOS, performance options and enable CPU performance mode.  Once you enable CPU performance mode you should be able to set custom settings for the OC level, one of which will be the power limits.   I don't OC my CPU but I do run with PL1 and PL2 set to 100000, essentially letting it pull all the power it wants too.  Keep in mind this may cause it to heat up more as the CPU won't be power limited and it will also have the fans running all the time at at least 2300 RPM ( I Think, that was the RPM ).  It's not loud but the fans will never turn right off.  I find it actually does better at keeping temps in check that way as it does not take as long for the fans to respond to a load put on the system.  

well I have done all the things you said and I have fixed it so I had already set pl1 and pl2 to 100000 but I did some undervolting and messing with setting in throttlestop and now I am getting 4.2ghz all cores and no PL or thermal throttle :) thanks for the help everyone!!! also liquid metaled it and my temps are 86 degrees at full load so I am very happy I have some head room to maybe go for 4.4 as that is what I should be able to get. SILICON GODS BE ON MY SIDE LOL