Need help

Im upgrading my old pc for my brother to use so i need help to choose what cpu and gpu to get. The motherboard is Gigabyte GA-EP43T-USB3 

The current cpu is pentium dual core e 6500. The graphics card is dead so it's the more urgent upgrade. For the graphics card im thorn between the r9 380, r9 280, r9 270x or gtx 770. For the cpu im thinking Q9550, Q9650 or xeon x5470. The power supply is 550w and the ram is 8gb. 

playing modern games? What performance target?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

-= Topic moved to New Builds and Planning =-

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

3 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

playing modern games? What performance target?

Basically he plays older games but mostly league of legends, valorant, cs go, f1 and gta v

Just now, BlackLight966 said:

Basically he plays older games but mostly league of legends, valorant, cs go and f1 

any of the cheaper quad cores would do well, the GTX 770 is the best GPU you should pair with this system, with the R9 380 being a bit too powerful for this era of CPU

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

any of the cheaper quad cores would do well, the GTX 770 is the best GPU you should pair with this system, with the R9 380 being a bit too powerful for this era of CPU

So the Q9550 and the gtx 770? Which one of the gpus will work with the current cpu, because i can get the gpu sooner than the cpu. 

Just now, BlackLight966 said:

Which one of the gpus will work with the current cpu

the sane ones that would work with the new CPU, assuming you're using the same motherboard.

Primary PC:

6 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

the sane ones that would work with the new CPU, assuming you're using the same motherboard.

So the gtx 770. What about the r9 280 or 270x? How they compare to the gtx? 

8 minutes ago, BlackLight966 said:

So the gtx 770. What about the r9 280 or 270x? How they compare to the gtx? 

they're a little more powerful in gaming

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

they're a little more powerful in gaming

But i assume that the system won't benefit from the performance because the e6500 is slower than the Q9550 

8 minutes ago, BlackLight966 said:

But i assume that the system won't benefit from the performance because the e6500 is slower than the Q9550 

either one is fine, get the cheaper one. Sometimes you'll get a better deal on the R9 series cards.

Primary PC:

8 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

either one is fine, get the cheaper one. Sometimes you'll get a better deal on the R9 series cards.

Thanks, I found the r9 280x 3gb, 270x 2gb and gtx 770 2gb for about 40 euros each.