Bottlenecked????

Is an i3 9100f going to bottleneck a gtx1660.if yes what cpu is better to use

could use a new cpu yes.

when gaming you want the CPU to be lower than the GPU, if the CPU runs higher or 100% and the GPU is not its a bottleneck

You want the GPU running higher than the CPU (load wise)

atleast I think thats the way it works. Its been a few years since Ive had to explain that.

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

bottlenecking always depends on the game and resolution. so the answer is Yes and No in certain situations and at the same time.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Quite a bit, yeah. Especially on games that's cpu bound. Worst case scenario is good fps but freezing/stuttering on heavy cpu load.

2 minutes ago, Jasonbas said:

Thanks to everyone 

np. I just checked in my game and my GPU will run at 90% - 100% and my CPU runs at like 12%

so yes check while you game and you can see. but usually you will know due to symptoms like Tibon posted.

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

4 minutes ago, Tibon said:

Quite a bit, yeah. Especially on games that's cpu bound. Worst case scenario is good fps but freezing/stuttering on heavy cpu load.

I am not sure because I play demanding games and I am getting well over the Hz of monitor 

(60hz) and I am not getting freezing frames

Just now, blu4 said:

np. I just checked in my game and my GPU will run at 90% - 100% and my CPU runs at like 12%

so yes check while you game and you can see. but usually you will know due to symptoms like Tibon posted.

In my most demanding games I am getting cpu 100-60% and gpu at 70-90%

1 minute ago, Jasonbas said:

In my most demanding games I am getting cpu 100-60% and gpu at 70-90%

yup that is what I would call a bottleneck. You pretty much never want that CPU running at 100% while you are doing stuff.

Maybe if you are like rendering its okay but when actively playing on the PC it would be annoying and cause slow downs

Ok thanks I am new in the bottlenecks but I could you please tell me what cpu is prefered For this gpu

1 minute ago, Jasonbas said:

Ok thanks I am new in the bottlenecks but I could you please tell me what cpu is prefered For this gpu

I wouldn't go 9th gen at this point, get a 3100/3300x or go 10th gen.

4 minutes ago, blu4 said:

yup that is what I would call a bottleneck. You pretty much never want that CPU running at 100% while you are doing stuff.

Maybe if you are like rendering its okay but when actively playing on the PC it would be annoying and cause slow downs

Now that I checked i am getting locked on cpu 70 and gpu 77

1 minute ago, gloop said:

I wouldn't go 9th gen at this point, get a 3100/3300x or go 10th gen.

Thanks but I have already bought it 

14 minutes ago, Jasonbas said:

I am not sure because I play demanding games and I am getting well over the Hz of monitor 

(60hz) and I am not getting freezing frames

It seems you are doing fine.

Frankly, at 60Hz you'll hardly have a problem with any modern processor. If you ever get into stutters, too high CPU usage and not so high GPU usage, but doing that higher FPS, then just enable Freesync-Gsync-Whatever sync you have available, and if none, good old Vsync. Then you'll run the games at 60 FPS without hiccups.

In fact, I would enable whichever of those you have anyway - if 60Hz you've got, 60Hz is all you are going to get anyway. The rest is wasting electricity.

1 minute ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

It seems you are doing fine.

Frankly, at 60Hz you'll hardly have a problem with any modern processor. If you ever get into stutters, too high CPU usage and not so high GPU usage, but doing that higher FPS, then just enable Freesync-Gsyn-Whatever sync you have available, and if none, good old Vsync. Then you'll run the games at 60 FPS without hiccups.

In fact, I would enable whichever of those you have anyway - if 60Hz you've got, 60Hz is all you are going to get anyway. The rest is wasting electricity.

Thanks I knew there was a setting for getting no more than your hz but i couldn’t find it

8 minutes ago, Jasonbas said:

If you can limit settings you should be able to play fine or a Vsync like said above could help but I know whats its like to play games a CPU cant handle and its not enjoyable IMO.

Id try to do the best you can now and save up for some beefy stuff later on

2 minutes ago, blu4 said:

If you can limit settings you should be able to play fine or a Vsync like said above could help but I know whats its like to play games a CPU cant handle and its not enjoyable IMO.

Id try to do the best you can now and save up for some beefy stuff later on

Thanks

33 minutes ago, Jasonbas said:

Is an i3 9100f going to bottleneck a gtx1660.if yes what cpu is better to use

I just put vsync on and I am getting 30 to 40 FPS I disable it and I am getting 100 with cpu at high to low 30-49

12 minutes ago, Jasonbas said:

I just put vsync on and I am getting 30 to 40 FPS I disable it and I am getting 100 with cpu at high to low 30-49

That's very strange. Unless you are bouncing between high framerates and low framerates when it's off.

1 minute ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

That's very strange. Unless you are bouncing between high framerates and low framerates when it's off.

I was getting with v sync off at first around 60 frames and then I enabled it and I got 30frames 

mans then I disabled it again and I got 144 FPS 

max with my cpu usage going down from 100% to 40-50% weird