Ryzen 5 3600 Heat Issue

Go to solution Solved by Jessee,
2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I don’t know. I don’t keep up with the ins and outs of the grand AMD bios saga.  Shouldn’t have much to do with current issues though I suppose it might be possible.  Someone else might know.  Probably couldn’t hurt.  Does your cpu make the minimum numbers advertised using the stock cooler?  If it doesn’t you may be able to RMA it on the grounds that it is below minimum spec.

well updating my bios fixed it. Memory express said they updated the bios for me when i bought the mobo and cpu..... assholes, now im at 80deg no throttle stock cooler. gunna buy a better cooler anyways, H100i PLATINUM SE is the new upgrade.

I LOVE YOU THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE HELP YOU BEAUTIFUL HUMAN BEING, i want to kiss u

Just now, dobuybuildgo said:

Agreed, definitely the aio...do you have the pump control plugged in and that is connected to the CPU fan or AIO pump connector?  All I can think is that it got

pump is plugged into the aio connector on my mobo. this is frustrating. might buy a new case cooler and fans tmrw at this point :(

2 minutes ago, dobuybuildgo said:

At this point, I'd pull the AIO and try the stock cooler if you still have it.  Then consider your options....lots of good air and aio coolers out there.  

good idea. doing that now will update

9 minutes ago, Jessee said:

my old fx8350 at like 1.425v didint hit this high tho. same cooler. that thing was fine and i oc'd it to the max my build would let me. i would get max 75-80c

You can try your stock cooler and check for temps. As far as i know, Ryzen 5 3600 can be cooled by the shittiest of coolers, especially at stock speed. 

Here you can see that under load, the 3600 on stock cooler only reaches 81 degrees. So if you have tried everything (remounting the cooler, reapply thermal paste etc.) then you know that that's on the AIO.

37 minutes ago, Jessee said:

heres another pic to show what i mean

mHb_4Pe5.jpg

The back would have to be opened, the cpu power connector cable would have to be pulled back a bit and the comb on it moved.  If those were possible it might fit.  I see what you mean though.  Attaching the h60i radiator to the top vent is at minimum problematic and may not be possible at all.  What about the rear exaust?  Might it fit there?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

13 minutes ago, dobuybuildgo said:

At this point, I'd pull the AIO and try the stock cooler if you still have it.  Then consider your options....lots of good air and aio coolers out there.  

I like this thought mostly because having data on the stock cooler behavior would at least give some perspective to this situation.  Even if it works much more poorly it’s still data.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

9 minutes ago, Promosss said:

You can try your stock cooler and check for temps. As far as i know, Ryzen 5 3600 can be cooled by the shittiest of coolers, especially at stock speed. 

Here you can see that under load, the 3600 on stock cooler only reaches 81 degrees. So if you have tried everything (remounting the cooler, reapply thermal paste etc.) then you know that that's on the AIO.

There’s always the silicon lottery.  It might just be a hot chip.  I too suspect the cooler though.  It’s a really small and old watercooler.  If the cold plate is damaged, or the interior of the AIO is gummed you or something there could be a problem. 

If it’s the spreader that’s is damaged or it’s just a lead chip though a different cooler won’t help.

7 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

There’s always the silicon lottery.  It might just be a hot chip.  I too suspect the cooler though.  It’s a really small and old watercooler.  If the cold plate is damaged, or the interior of the AIO is gummed you or something there could be a problem. 

If it’s the spreader that’s is damaged or it’s just a lead chip though a different cooler won’t help.

stock cooler and im hitting 103 deg c

11 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

if i test it on ryzen master i get 90deg. im using hwinfo maybe im an idiot and its telling me wrong temps

9 minutes ago, Jessee said:

stock cooler and im hitting 103 deg c

Ok.  So either the chip sucks, the pasting job repetitively sucks, or the case airflow sucks.  The chip would be an RMA.  

let’s check paste simply because it’s possible to do at the moment.  I’m not saying it’s likely but one never knows.  

-What brand paste are you using?  How old is it?
-what method are you using to clean the cpu heat spreaders and the cold plate?

-what method are you using to apply past and how much are you using?

Oh and another thought: are ther any dents or scratches in the top of the cpu? It should be dead flat and mirror shiny just like the cold plate of both of your coolers.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

Ok.  So either the chip sucks, the pasting job repetitively sucks, or the case airflow sucks.  The chip would be an RMA.  

let’s check paste simply because it’s possible to do at the moment.  I’m not saying it’s likely but one never knows.  

-What brand paste are you using?  How old is it?
-what method are you using to clean the cpu heat spreaders and the cold plate?

-what method are you using to apply past and how much are you using?

corsair thermal paste just bought it.
alcohol wipes to clean

center dot. pea sized

1 minute ago, Jessee said:

corsair thermal paste just bought it.
alcohol wipes to clean

center dot. pea sized

You cleaning it so good you can’t tell there was ever paste there?  It’s really important to get it completely off both the cold plate and the cpu. It’s sounding like paste isn’t the problem though.

P.S I added a bit to the previous post.  Might or might not be useful.

there’s also tightness.  The cpu cooler needs to be torqued on pretty hard.  There should be some way to check torque somehow.  Springs are not uncommon.

10 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

there’s also tightness.  The cpu cooler needs to be torqued on pretty hard.  There should be some way to check torque somehow.  Springs are not uncommon.

my old cooler i would always tighten as tight as i could. now with stock cooler i managed to get 95 exactly. but its capping at 3.3ghz.

13 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

should i just try and bring the cpu back? this doesnt make any sense to me anymore ive done everything i could think of

16 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

cinebench score has dropped extremely

1 minute ago, Jessee said:

cinebench score has dropped extremely

This would not surprise me.  The chip would be throttling.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

This would not surprise me.  The chip would be throttling.

should i try and update my bios. updated it when i got it but i could do it again

7 minutes ago, Jessee said:

should i try and update my bios. updated it when i got it but i could do it again

I don’t know. I don’t keep up with the ins and outs of the grand AMD bios saga.  Shouldn’t have much to do with current issues though I suppose it might be possible.  Someone else might know.  Probably couldn’t hurt.  Does your cpu make the minimum numbers advertised using the stock cooler?  If it doesn’t you may be able to RMA it on the grounds that it is below minimum spec.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

well updating my bios fixed it. Memory express said they updated the bios for me when i bought the mobo and cpu..... assholes, now im at 80deg no throttle stock cooler. gunna buy a better cooler anyways, H100i PLATINUM SE is the new upgrade.

I LOVE YOU THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE HELP YOU BEAUTIFUL HUMAN BEING, i want to kiss u

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

thank you for taking the time out of your day to help me, much appreciated. youre awesome dude 🤙

So it wasn't the cooler after all, glad that it worked anyway. Enjoy dude.

7 minutes ago, Jessee said:

I was the one who didn’t know bupkis about the bios update.  Kiss yourself.  

As for the 240 AIO, Meh. Those things are a Benjamin and from the sound of it it wouldn’t do you any good.  If you’re running 80c on the stock cooler you’ll run lower on the h60i.  A bigger cooler won’t make it go faster.  The 3600 is a lousy overclocker.  It clocks itself and you’re already getting the full montey there at 80c