Ram configuration work?

Hi. I finished up my first build a few days and I’ve already noticed that most of my ram (2x8gb) is being used when I’m gaming. I already wanted to upgrade to 2x16gb but I was wondering if I bought the same brand and speed, g skill trident z 3200, if maybe it would work with the 2x8 pair? Or what’s the worst that could happen? Just not boot? 
I know they say not to mix ram but I was thinking of having same ram besides capacity. 

thanks

It should work. If you are going to buy it anyways, there is no harm in trying it with what you have in there right now. Worst that happens is you take out your current ram and only leave the new ones.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

44 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

It should work. If you are going to buy it anyways, there is no harm in trying it with what you have in there right now. Worst that happens is you take out your current ram and only leave the new ones.

I was wondering if I should get faster ram or if it’s worth trying to get the same speed to try and use my current 8gb pair. There’s a 2x16gb trident z 3200 for 130$ and I was looking at the trident z rgb 3600 but that’s $180. Is the 3600 worth $50 more or get the other ones and maybe have a higher probability working my current ram. Both have a cas latency 16 but the 3600mhz is 16-19-19-39 while the 3200 is 16-18-18-38. 

sry if this is a dumb question I’m just not sure about all this.

1 hour ago, Greatestfoe said:

I was wondering if I should get faster ram or if it’s worth trying to get the same speed to try and use my current 8gb pair. There’s a 2x16gb trident z 3200 for 130$ and I was looking at the trident z rgb 3600 but that’s $180. Is the 3600 worth $50 more or get the other ones and maybe have a higher probability working my current ram. Both have a cas latency 16 but the 3600mhz is 16-19-19-39 while the 3200 is 16-18-18-38

sry if this is a dumb question I’m just not sure about all this.

Do you have Intel or AMD? If Intel definitely 3200 but ryzen faster ram does make a difference. That’s the extent of my knowledge on ram so I can’t help with the timings to much. But I don’t think it will matter.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

Just now, zeusthemoose said:

Do you have Intel or AMD? If Intel definitely 3200 but ryzen faster ram does make a difference. That’s the extent of my knowledge on ram so I can’t help with the timings to much. But I don’t think it will matter.

Intel i5 9600k. Probably better keeping the $50 and getting something else I want. I appreciate your feedback 

I would get same speed and add to existing, speed bump is not worth smaller total capacity.