Would a 360mm radiator fit in my case?

IAmAndre
Go to solution Solved by Statik,
1 hour ago, IAmAndre said:

Hmmokay so you're saying that the air from the two fans on the radiator should cool the radiator itself and the rest of the system?

Yes. The air will be a few degrees warmer obviously, but it will still (in theory) be plenty cool enough to cool down your system.

Hi,

I have a Aerocool Shard case and the specs say that it can fit a 240mm radiator in front or 3 120mm case fans. I currently have the case fans installed and I'm curious to know why a 360mm radiator wouldn't fit. I will probably stick to the official specs anyway but I'm just curious to know why it wouldn't fit.

As you can see, it has two HDD bays at the bottom. If I install a 240mm radiator I wouldn't be able to cool those hard drives with a fan. How much of an issue is it? I have currently two Seagate Barracuda.

Finally, with the radiator installed I'll have two free fan spots at the top of the case. Should they be installed in a pull configuration to cool the motherboard's VRMs or in push to exhaust the hot air?

Thanks

It's hard to tell in the photos but it appears that the PSU shroud would block a rad? Not having a fan on an HDD should be no big deal.

You should try to make your air flow through the case, i.e. in the front/bottom, out the top/back is generally ideal.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

13 minutes ago, Statik said:

It's hard to tell in the photos but it appears that the PSU shroud would block a rad? Not having a fan on an HDD should be no big deal.

Ah it makes sense because there's just a tiny space between the bottom fan and the shroud for some cable management so definitely not enough space to fit a radiator.

16 minutes ago, Statik said:

You should try to make your air flow through the case, i.e. in the front/bottom, out the top/back is generally ideal.

I understood that the fans on the radiator are pulling air inside the case but doesn't the radiator emit some hot air? In this case how can I keep the VRMs and RAM sticks cool?

Ah it makes sense because there's just a tiny space between the bottom fan and the shroud for some cable management so definitely not enough space to fit a radiator.

I understood that the fans on the radiator are pulling air inside the case but doesn't the radiator emit some hot air? In this case how can I keep the VRMs and RAM sticks cool?

What board do you have? If your board required direct air on the VRMs at stock/general OC to not overheat, it's a shit board. And if your ram is running at XMP/Slight tune/OC it shouldn't need direct air. Just having air flowing through the case should be plenty.

Yes air coming through a rad in the front will be slightly warm, but it's the only option. And it's not going to be make or break for temps, it'll be a few degrees difference.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

39 minutes ago, Statik said:

What board do you have? If your board required direct air on the VRMs at stock/general OC to not overheat, it's a shit board. And if your ram is running at XMP/Slight tune/OC it shouldn't need direct air. Just having air flowing through the case should be plenty.

Yes air coming through a rad in the front will be slightly warm, but it's the only option. And it's not going to be make or break for temps, it'll be a few degrees difference.

The thing is I would have no air input. The temperatures have been fine so far on all components but I thought I would need to have at least some air input to cool down the components other than the CPU and GPU.

BTW I made a configuration on the Corsair website and this is pretty close to what it would look like: https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/custom-cooling-configurator?configCode=vftrkp

So the question is whether the top fans should be in a push or a pull configuration.

The thing is I would have no air input. The temperatures have been fine so far on all components but I thought I would need to have at least some air input to cool down the components other than the CPU and GPU.

Yes you would, from your rad... That's your intake.

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

1 minute ago, Statik said:

Yes you would, from your rad... That's your intake.

Hmmokay so you're saying that the air from the two fans on the radiator should cool the radiator itself and the rest of the system?

Yes. The air will be a few degrees warmer obviously, but it will still (in theory) be plenty cool enough to cool down your system.

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

3 minutes ago, Statik said:

Interesting. Anything I can do to improve the thermals overall. Because in summer the ambient temperature can be as high as 30°C where I live.

Interesting. Anything I can do to improve the thermals overall. Because in summer the ambient temperature can be as high as 30°C where I live.

Not really. It all depends on the temperature of the air going into your PC. No number of fans or configuration will change that. Only way to fix that is bring down the ambient temp (i.e. AC.)

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro