1st and 2nd DIMM Slots Not Working // Bad Memory Controller or Motherboard?

I recently swapped out my cpu cooler and in the process of doing so, the old cooler pulled out the cpu with it. Some of the pins on the corners of the cpu were bent, but none snapped off and I managed to bend them back and the cpu slid back in perfectly into the socket.

However, on startup I discovered that my computer wouldn't post if I had ram in the 1st or 2nd dimm slots. I checked both of my ram sticks in a slots 3 and 4 and they both worked as the computer would start up.

I need to be able to use my 2nd dimm slot for dual channel memory on my board, so this problem is stopping me from doing so. Could the bent pins have damaged the memory controller on the cpu or is this most likely a motherboard problem?

Specs: Ryzen 3600x, Prime X-570P Motherboard, RTX 2070 Super, TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta (2x16GB Ram 3200mhz)

1 minute ago, Finessed said:

I recently swapped out my cpu cooler and in the process of doing so, the old cooler pulled out the cpu with it. Some of the pins on the corners of the cpu were bent, but none snapped off and I managed to bend them back and the cpu slid back in perfectly into the socket.

However, on startup I discovered that my computer wouldn't post if I had ram in the 1st or 2nd dimm slots. I checked both of my ram sticks in a slots 3 and 4 and they both worked as the computer would start up.

I need to be able to use my 2nd dimm slot for dual channel memory on my board, so this problem is stopping me from doing so. Could the bent pins have damaged the memory controller on the cpu or is this most likely a motherboard problem?

Specs: Ryzen 3600x, Prime X-570P Motherboard, RTX 2070 Super, TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta (2x16GB Ram 3200mhz)

make sure there isnt any pins that are a little off 

try maybe updating the chipset driver and try updating the bios 

but for the most part just make sure there isnt any bent pins 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

make sure there isnt any pins that are a little off 

try maybe updating the chipset driver and try updating the bios 

but for the most part just make sure there isnt any bent pins 

I have reseated the cpu around 5 times by now and all the pins are perfectly straight. The cpu slides right in, so no pins are even slightly bent. It is also the latest bios. I also reset cmos to no avail.

I have reseated the cpu around 5 times by now and all the pins are perfectly straight. The cpu slides right in, so no pins are even slightly bent. It is also the latest bios. I also reset cmos to no avail.

check if there is no pins that are loose / coming off 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

check if there is no pins that are loose / coming off 

They are all solid. I dusted them with compressed air and nothing came off. 

They are all solid. I dusted them with compressed air and nothing came off. 

this is very unlikely but maybe the ram is the problem 

did you try another kit ? or can you borrow some from a friend ? 

other than that i have no idea

edit : or maybe try the ram in a different rig  

Edited by TofuHaroto

Build Log: 

this is very unlikely but maybe the ram is the problem 

did you try another kit ? or can you borrow some from a friend ? 

other than that i have no idea 

I don't think it's the ram because i am running just fine right now with both sticks in slots 3 and 4. 1 and 2 won't allow the pc to boot as I stated. Could this be a motherboard problem?

Just now, Finessed said:

I don't think it's the ram because i am running just fine right now with both sticks in slots 3 and 4. 1 and 2 won't allow the pc to boot as I stated. Could this be a motherboard problem?

its unlikely its the mobo 

did you try updating the chipset drivers ? 

Build Log: 

2 minutes ago, Finessed said:

take some photos of the CPU pins for us and post them. Take a few different ones from different angles. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

5 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

take some photos of the CPU pins for us and post them. Take a few different ones from different angles. 

cpu.JPG

7 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

its unlikely its the mobo 

did you try updating the chipset drivers ? 

I just updated the chipset drivers now I am checking the ram again now. I didn't know about chipset drivers I thought only the bios version mattered.

SNIP

Multiple shots.. multiple angles.. and try without flash please. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

14 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Multiple shots.. multiple angles.. and try without flash please. 

I can assure you none of the pins are bent. I have probably torn apart my rig 10 times by now to double and triple check my pins. By saying I bent some pins I might've raised some concern that it would most likely be the issue, but it was only 3 pins that were slightly crooked and i pushed them back perfectly. The computer boots up no problems with ram in slots 3 and 4 and I even ran prime95 for a few hours without any stability issues. 

3 minutes ago, Finessed said:

I can assure you none of the pins are bent. I have probably torn apart my rig 10 times by now to double and triple check my pins. By saying I bent some pins I might've raised some concern that it would most likely be the issue, but it was only 3 pins that were slightly crooked and i pushed them back perfectly. The computer boots up no problems with ram in slots 3 and 4 and I even ran prime95 for a few hours without any stability issues. 

did updating the chipset drivers help ? 

Build Log: 

did updating the chipset drivers help ? 

No I'm still getting the same problem. The closest I've gotten to it is the ram in the faulty slots would light up for a second then the computer would immediately shut down. It would repeat this 3 more times before just staying lit up without any signal. The fans would be blowing really loud too. After removing the sticks from the faulty slots and putting them back in the working ones, the next post would say that it failed to boot due to system instability. 

No I'm still getting the same problem. The closest I've gotten to it is the ram in the faulty slots would light up for a second then the computer would immediately shut down. It would repeat this 3 more times before just staying lit up without any signal. The fans would be blowing really loud too. After removing the sticks from the faulty slots and putting them back in the working ones, the next post would say that it failed to boot due to system instability. 

right now the only thing im thinking of is trying the cpu in a different mobo or to try different ram or try the ram in  a different rig 

if you can try any of these that would help us identify what the problem is 

Build Log: 

right now the only thing im thinking of is trying the cpu in a different mobo or to try different ram or try the ram in  a different rig 

if you can try any of these that would help us identify what the problem is 

Yeah I ordered a new mobo, but it won't get here for over a week. I am really hoping that the cpu isn't the problem and I'm pretty sure the ram is completely fine. Before switching out my cpu cooler, the system was running fine with ram in 2 and 4 for dual channel, so I don't know why this is happening now. 

Yeah I ordered a new mobo, but it won't get here for over a week. I am really hoping that the cpu isn't the problem and I'm pretty sure the ram is completely fine. Before switching out my cpu cooler, the system was running fine with ram in 2 and 4 for dual channel, so I don't know why this is happening now. 

hopefully its not the cpu and its  just the mobo 

but i recommend testing the rig in a different mobo in a friends rig or something because if it is not the mobo you could just cancel the order  

Build Log: 

hopefully its not the cpu and its  just the mobo 

but i recommend testing the rig in a different mobo in a friends rig or something because if it is not the mobo you could just cancel the order  

Yeah, I wish I had access to different parts for testing but sadly I'm stuck with just my own rig. Since the pins were bent back perfectly would there be any reason this problem is still coming from the cpu?

Since the pins were bent back perfectly would there be any reason this problem is still coming from the cpu?

could be pins that are memory channel related so maybe if you bent them the damage would have still been a thing even after re bending them back 

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

could be pins that are memory channel related so maybe if you bent them the damage would have still been a thing even after re bending them back 

If that were true why would the other two slots work? This is all kinda weird to me.

Just now, Finessed said:

If that were true why would the other two slots work? This is all kinda weird to me.

2 and 4 are dual channel 

maybe the cpu got damaged in a way that it damaged the imc and maybe it cant boot with dual channel 

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

2 and 4 are dual channel 

maybe the cpu got damaged in a way that it damaged the imc and maybe it cant boot with dual channel 

Do you think its more likely that the mobo or cpu is damaged? I read in other threads that if the cpu were truly damaged it wouldn't boot at all. Maybe something broke in the socket since the cpu got pulled out of it along with the cooler when I was replacing it. I heard a loud click and the cpu out of the socket and stuck on the cooler. 

I read in other threads that if the cpu were truly damaged it wouldn't boot at all.

not true all the time 

since come pins are not critical to boot but critical for other things 

some are just reserved pins 

Do you think its more likely that the mobo or cpu is damaged?

i honestly dont know its a 50 50 chance 

Maybe something broke in the socket since the cpu got pulled out of it along with the cooler when I was replacing it

very very unlikely is the physical socket 

I heard a loud click and the cpu out of the socket and stuck on the cooler. 

if the new mobo didnt work 

it could be ( and this is bery unlikely that it is ) that the die cracked but that would be very unlucky 

Build Log: 

2 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

not true all the time 

since come pins are not critical to boot but critical for other things 

some are just reserved pins 

i honestly dont know its a 50 50 chance 

very very unlikely is the physical socket 

if the new mobo didnt work 

it could be ( and this is bery unlikely that it is ) that the die cracked but that would be very unlucky 

I guess I'll just wait for the new motherboard to arrive and see if it really was the mobo or if I have to change my cpu too.