Quiet my system

porina

Relevant specs (full specs under gaming rig in sig):

8086k delid+LM, turbo off

Noctua D15

Asus 1080Ti Strix 

Fractal Edison 550W PSU

Gamemax Silent

I only recently moved it into the Gamemax Silent case. Before that, it was in a Corsair 600C inverted case. My problem with both of these I suspect is airflow. The CPU is largely ok, and the problems are a mix of the case and GPU fans. Neither case has what I'd consider much airflow around the GPU, and it really spins up under gaming loads.

The 600C has two intakes in front, and one exhaust at back lower, but with the inverted layout, the GPU is above that and I don't think the two intakes is pushing enough flow over the GPU. The Silent has dampened panels and such, with two intakes and one exhaust at back top. Again, I don't think that is enough over the GPU area. As a workaround I'm running side panel off which helps a lot.

So what I'm thinking of trying is getting another case with good airflow over the GPU area. I think that would benefit more than trying to isolate noise generation. Prevention is better than cure. I'd prefer a tower layout. Thinking more, I have an Air 540 spare, but I recall having panel vibration problems with that when I used it. So it would need to have good rigidity to prevent similar. Don't care about looks at this point. Don't want to go for silly expensive cases but mid range ones should be no problem. If case doesn't come with decent fans, I'd need to buy new as the ones I currently have are getting rather old even with cleaning dust, are showing their age. The goal will be to have a decent amount of airflow, by having decent numbers of large low rpm fans.

I don't think I need to change CPU coolers as that isn't the limiting factor. I don't want to water cool the GPU.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Seems like the heat stays longer in the case>making the fans work harder = more noise.

I use a custom case that is suspiciously too similar to the Corsair Crystal 570X,also the manufacturer put an easily removable air filter in front of the fans.

I removed the front glass for airflow,my system is very quiet even with everything in the system overclocked.

I think that the Cooler Master MB511 Mesh will do a good job:

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
Case Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 ATX Mid Tower Case $65.98 @ Newegg
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $65.98
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-23 07:18 EDT-0400  

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Have you considered just changing the GPU cooler for something like the Raijintek Morpheus II, and strapping a pair of nice fans onto it?

:)

6 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Have you considered just changing the GPU cooler for something like the Raijintek Morpheus II, and strapping a pair of nice fans onto it?

The performance should be around the Strix cooler that OP has,so it's pointless to do so.

Also i don't like the minimal cooling of the VRAM and VRMs that presents in the Morpheus II,

The heatsinks don't even cover the whole surface area of the VRAM modules.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

9 minutes ago, Vishera said:

I think that the Cooler Master MB511 Mesh will do a good job:

You just reminded me, I do have another system in one of the older Mastercase/MasterBox series. I'm trying not to accumulate more hardware, so another case swap might be in order here.

3 minutes ago, seon123 said:

I'm not keen on this route. IMO the 1080Ti is getting towards the end of its useful life for me. It just needs to hold out until next gen nvidia GPUs are out when I'll replace it. I had in the past temporarily swapped in a 2070. While a performance downgrade, the power efficiency of Turing is a huge step up from Maxwell. However the 2070 needs to be in a different system right now and I don't want to buy another Turing card.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible