Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Elite Dangerous VR Rig?

Budget (including currency): $1800

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Elite Dangerous, No Man's Sky, and others.

Other details : My build concept for my future PC. My main objective with us build is to access and play games in VR. Elite Dangerous, No Man's Sky, will be the focus of this build but I also want to play other titles such as Mount & Blade II: Bannerlords, Anno 1800, and other similar titles. For the price point can I play these titles at relatively high settings? Or do you see room for improvement? Thanks in advanced!

It has been a while since I played Elite Dangerous, and not in VR as it gave me very bad motion sickness when I tried. From memory the game isn't very CPU intensive. Space travel isn't demanding on the GPU but it does increase a lot on planets. 2070S is probably fine, although I can't be sure as I never tried it in VR. 

Some thoughts and suggestions:

• If you can, wait a little and see what B550 motherboards come in at.
  • It'll probably be a bit of a long wait to see what next gen GPUs are (assume towards end of year). 
  • I'd consider getting an upgraded cooler for the CPU as it will help with cooling (and potentially higher typical turbo clocks) and noise over the stock cooler. 
  • A 1440p display can help a fair bit with the extra pixel area, although I don't know how that works with your budget.

TV Gaming system: Asus B560M-A, i7-11700k, Scythe Fuma 2, Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200@21334 4x16GB, MSI 3070 Gaming Trio X, EVGA Supernova G2L 850W, Anidees Ai Crystal, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, LG OLED55B9PLA 4k120 G-Sync Compatible
Streaming system: Asus X299 TUF mark 2, i9-7920X, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance LPX RGB 3000 8x8GB, Gigabyte 2070, Corsair HX1000i, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Crucial BX500 1TB, BenQ XL2411 1080p144 + HP LP2475w 1200p60
Desktop Gaming system (to be retired): Asrock Z370 Pro4, i7-8086k, Noctua D15, G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 2x8GB, Asus Strix 1080 Ti, NZXT E850 PSU, Cooler Master MasterBox 5, Optane 900p 280GB, Crucial MX200 1TB, Sandisk 960GB, Acer Predator XB241YU 1440p144 G-sync

Former Main system (to be retired): Asus Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700k, Noctua D14, G.Skill Ripjaws 4 3333@2133 4x4GB, GTX 1650, Corsair HX750i, In Win 303 NVIDIA, Samsung SM951 512GB, WD Blue 1TB, Acer RT280k 4k60 FreeSync [link]
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion, 5800H, DDR4 3200C22 2x8GB, RTX 3070, 512 GB SSD, 165 Hz IPS panel

8 hours ago, porina said:

It has been a while since I played Elite Dangerous, and not in VR as it gave me very bad motion sickness when I tried. From memory the game isn't very CPU intensive. Space travel isn't demanding on the GPU but it does increase a lot on planets. 2070S is probably fine, although I can't be sure as I never tried it in VR. 

Some thoughts and suggestions:

• If you can, wait a little and see what B550 motherboards come in at.
  • It'll probably be a bit of a long wait to see what next gen GPUs are (assume towards end of year). 
  • I'd consider getting an upgraded cooler for the CPU as it will help with cooling (and potentially higher typical turbo clocks) and noise over the stock cooler. 
  • A 1440p display can help a fair bit with the extra pixel area, although I don't know how that works with your budget.

So maybe Noctura CPU cooler (I've only heard good things). I am in the early stages of prep, and was hoping Nvidia would have announced something about next gen consumer GPU's but I get it, waiting for AMD to drop their GPU to immediately say "yeah we'll look at this" is smart. A's for the monitor, was just getting an idea of total packages. If I could have added the Oculus, and a HOTAS to the list I would have as well just to get an overall price. Thank You!