PBO for cpu?

So tomorrow im getting a new cooler corsair h100i pro for my ryzen 5 3600 which runs fairly hot. anyways i enabled pbo from my bios for now but is there anything else i should do like something with voltage cuz i heard i think i should lower voltage of something for more performance on cooler cpu's which i think my cpu will run cool cuz im also getting a new case with better airflow. way better airflow actually. what else should i do in the bios?

Unless you're gonna go really deep into the weeds, PBO will do a better job of overclocking than you would manually. Just max out the power limits (there are three IIRC) and the scalar, and let it do its job :)

1 minute ago, averagebilly said:

I've never heard that a cooler CPU will run better with lower voltage. What you probably heard was that lowering the voltage makes the CPU run cooler, and thermal throttle less.

when i get the cooler supposedly it should auto oc my cpu to the max it can go which i think a r5 3600 can go up to 4.3ghz so if it does is there any other step i should do after that or just game?

Just now, Yebi said:

Unless you're gonna go really deep into the weeds, PBO will do a better job of overclocking than you would manually. Just max out the power limits (there are three IIRC) and the scalar, and let it do its job :)

there was an option called PBO scalar u mean this?

1 minute ago, InfernalClaw said:

here was an option called PBO scalar u mean this?

Yes. It basically defines how aggressive the auto OC is

when i get the cooler supposedly it should auto oc my cpu to the max it can go which i think a r5 3600 can go up to 4.3ghz so if it does is there any other step i should do after that or just game?

Follow @Yebi's advice and max the power (not voltage), and let it do it's thing. That is, unless you want to try some manual tweaking!

Just now, Yebi said:

Yes. It basically defines how aggressive the auto OC is

alright count me in xD supposedly my cooling will be good i mean 2 200m front fans 2 120mm top fans and 1 rear fan and the cpu is liquid cooled by a h100i pro so i think i can run at 4.3ghz fine at gaming temps of maybe 55-70

Just now, averagebilly said:

Follow @Yebi's advice and max the power (not voltage), and let it do it's thing. That is, unless you want to try some manual tweaking!

ok so i never did anything with the voltage. its default for now. what ur saying is i enable PBO and PBO scalar at max and thats pretty much it. also i have the options enabled i dont think there is a "max option"

Just now, InfernalClaw said:

ok so i never did anything with the voltage. its default for now. what ur saying is i enable PBO and PBO scalar at max and thats pretty much it. also i have the options enabled i dont think there is a "max option"

Yes, my understanding is that ryzen 3000 does a great job on it's own, although I was foolish enough to get stuck on intel 9th gen, so I haven't tested it for myself.

Just now, averagebilly said:

Yes, my understanding is that ryzen 3000 does a great job on it's own, although I was foolish enough to get stuck on intel 9th gen, so I haven't tested it for myself.

alright thanks mate. i will finally be able to game on good temps!

To be more specific, the power limits are PPT, TDC, and EDC. You can use Ryzen Master to check if you're hitting them:

image.png.4fd5fb849d82f2f0a48f4f951b906802.png

If any of these go red under load, you should increase the max number in BIOS. Normally that shouldn't be an issue, I think they get maxed automatically when you enable PBO

Just now, Yebi said:

To be more specific, the power limits are PPT, TDC, and EDC. You can use Ryzen Master to check if you're hitting them:

image.png.4fd5fb849d82f2f0a48f4f951b906802.png

If any of these go red under load, you should increase the max number in BIOS. Normally that shouldn't be an issue, I think they get maxed automatically when you enable PBO

what max number exactly? im sorry i really am not very good with computers but you mean which numbers in bios or in ryzen master and how do i exactly change them?

what max number exactly? im sorry i really am not very good with computers but you mean which numbers in bios or in ryzen master and how do i exactly change them?

It will depend on the BIOS. The general idea would be to find those acronyms in there and set them to something like 999 (it won't actually let you go that high, but it should roll back to the highest allowed number). But first of all I'd suggest to see if that is even an issue, you might not need to change anything

1 minute ago, Yebi said:

It will depend on the BIOS. The general idea would be to find those acronyms in there and set them to something like 999 (it won't actually let you go that high, but it should roll back to the highest allowed number). But first of all I'd suggest to see if that is even an issue, you might not need to change anything

im testing a cpu heavy game ac origins i will tell u if i see red in any of those

3 minutes ago, Yebi said:

ok so it did go to red like 2 or 3 times but it stays in red for a second or two and goes away. is this ok? also i dont have good cooling tomorrow i will though

im testing a cpu heavy game ac origins i will tell u if i see red in any of those

Might be a better idea to run something like Cinebench R20 (it's free in the windows app store) - it will consistently hit your CPU to 100% and you won't have the trouble of trying to look at Ryzen Master while running something fullscreen. Also, you might want to wait unitl tommorow for that, because even if you're not hitting the limits with your current cooler, the new one might change that

Just now, Yebi said:

Might be a better idea to run something like Cinebench R20 (it's free in the windows app store) - it will consistently hit your CPU to 100% and you won't have the trouble of trying to look at Ryzen Master while running something fullscreen. Also, you might want to wait unitl tommorow for that, because even if you're not hitting the limits with your current cooler, the new one might change that

ok one more thing. in the ryzen master it says my ram latency is 22!!! thats terrible. i have ballistix sport LT 3000mhz ram i OCed it to 3200 i think the normal is CL16 why is too high?

2 minutes ago, Yebi said:

ok i tried and it is always at red xD what do i do now?

Just now, InfernalClaw said:

ok one more thing. in the ryzen master it says my ram latency is 22!!! thats terrible. i have ballistix sport LT 3000mhz ram i OCed it to 3200 i think the normal is CL16 why is too high?

Did you OC the ram manually? Generally speaking, the most hassle-free way is to enable the XMP (sometimes called DOCP on AMD) mode in BIOS. That should automatically set the frequancy and timings to what it says on the RAM's box. If you overclocked RAM to a higher frequency that it is rated for, it is possible that it can't handle normal timings with that frequency

6 minutes ago, InfernalClaw said:

ok i tried and it is always at red xD what do i do now?

What is your motherboard?

4 minutes ago, Yebi said:

Did you OC the ram manually? Generally speaking, the most hassle-free way is to enable the XMP (sometimes called DOCP on AMD) mode in BIOS. That should automatically set the frequancy and timings to what it says on the RAM's box. If you overclocked RAM to a higher frequency that it is rated for, it is possible that it can't handle normal timings with that frequency

turns out i oced manually but didnt change the timings. i did it again and in cpu z its running at 3200mhz and in ryzen master its at cas latency 16!! thank god i fixed it.

Just now, Yebi said:

What is your motherboard?

gigabyte b450m gaming

3 minutes ago, InfernalClaw said:

turns out i oced manually but didnt change the timings. i did it again and in cpu z its running at 3200mhz and in ryzen master its at cas latency 16!! thank god i fixed it.

good job! enjoy!

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)