New PC Build Issues....

PharmDGator

So I completed my PC build about 1.5 months ago and at first everything was peachy (my first PC build).

Assembled and posted on the first try (thanks LTT build videos). However, lately it just feels like it's a bit unstable. Apps kind of randomly getting bogged down and last night in the middle of an online game/stream of Modern Warfare, the game crashed. What's interesting about this is the game crashed and then Blizzard was scanning my PC for the game files and I noticed that all of the icons for apps I have saved on my second M.2 "D:/" drive were all messed up. 

I went to file explorer and sure enough, the "D" drive was not being recognized. I performed a restart and it took forever to start-up and the issue remained. I performed a full shutdown and restart and everything came back to normal. 

Any thoughts? Did my M.2 overheat (WD Black 1TB NvME)? Completely new to PC building and more than happy to learn how to get through these issues. 

Just in general programs dont seem to run as smoothly as I expected, it just feels sketch. I know that might sound crazy to have feelings about the way a pc runs, but maybe you guys know what I'm talking about. 

13 minutes ago, PharmDGator said:

So I completed my PC build about 1.5 months ago and at first everything was peachy (my first PC build).

Assembled and posted on the first try (thanks LTT build videos). However, lately it just feels like it's a bit unstable. Apps kind of randomly getting bogged down and last night in the middle of an online game/stream of Modern Warfare, the game crashed. What's interesting about this is the game crashed and then Blizzard was scanning my PC for the game files and I noticed that all of the icons for apps I have saved on my second M.2 "D:/" drive were all messed up. 

I went to file explorer and sure enough, the "D" drive was not being recognized. I performed a restart and it took forever to start-up and the issue remained. I performed a full shutdown and restart and everything came back to normal. 

Any thoughts? Did my M.2 overheat (WD Black 1TB NvME)? Completely new to PC building and more than happy to learn how to get through these issues. 

Just in general programs dont seem to run as smoothly as I expected, it just feels sketch. I know that might sound crazy to have feelings about the way a pc runs, but maybe you guys know what I'm talking about. 

Makes me curious what the specific of your storage is on this machine. If it’s D it’s not your only drive.  Are there other drives? Other partitions of drives? How are they attached?  What is the mobo? (different Chipsets attach storage in different ways on different motherboards)

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

10 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Makes me curious what the specific of your storage is on this machine. If it’s D it’s not your only drive.  Are there other drives? Other partitions of drives? How are they attached?  What is the mobo? (different Chipsets attach storage in different ways on different motherboards)

I have a 250GB Evo Plus M.2 as my boot drive, with the 1TB WD Black M.2 as my larger D drive. Mobo is an ASUS Strix X570-E.

Neither drive has any partitions. 

For additional info:
CPU - Ryzen 5 3600x
GPU - Gigabyte 2070 Super-OC

PSU - EVGA 750-B5

RAM - 16g Trident Z 3600 DDR4

30 minutes ago, PharmDGator said:

also what slot is your m.2 drive connected to ( is it the one near the pci slot for your graphics cards), check your motherboard manual and make sure its not in a slot that is sharing resources with your Graphics card.

1 hour ago, TekSupport said:

also what slot is your m.2 drive connected to ( is it the one near the pci slot for your graphics cards), check your motherboard manual and make sure its not in a slot that is sharing resources with your Graphics card.

There are only 2 M.2 slots and I can't find any reference to shared resources (see image)  My boot drive is installed on the top M.2 and the drive that crashed is installed on the other. My graphics card is installed in position "1".

image.png

19 hours ago, PharmDGator said:

There are only 2 M.2 slots and I can't find any reference to shared resources (see image)  My boot drive is installed on the top M.2 and the drive that crashed is installed on the other. My graphics card is installed in position "1".

image.png

I just realised my mistake,  m.2 sometimes has shared bandwidth with sata connectors not pci slots.

3 hours ago, TekSupport said:

I just realised my mistake,  m.2 sometimes has shared bandwidth with sata connectors not pci slots.

No worries, I was finding that same info. That said, I'm in no position to question anything at this point. 

I'm not finding anything else about this issue and also, my BIOS is up to date. 

On 5/20/2020 at 5:32 PM, PharmDGator said:

No worries, I was finding that same info. That said, I'm in no position to question anything at this point. 

I'm not finding anything else about this issue and also, my BIOS is up to date. 

I would stress test the PC.

First i would do a test on just the 2nd m.2 drive

then i would do one with the graphics card and m.2 ,

then one with the cpu, gpu and m.2.

to try to find out which part is causing the issue.

There is always a chance that a part you have bought is defective, it might be difficult to do at this time, but you might have to send it back.

also worth switching the slots for the m.2 drives and if you have a complete system crash then its probably the second m.2 slot on the motherboard that is the issue.

Try the GPU in a different slot with everything remaining the same first.

Make sure that the CPU cooler is not put on too tight.

There are apps from the M.2 drive manufacturers, try to use one and see what temps and state your NvMe's are.

I think a 250 GB drive for OS is too small, the OS itself takes about 50 GB, and then there are all these applications.

Also, have you installed the games to the C drive or the D Drive?

If C drive, then you may be running out of space, as the game progress may be eating up the 250 GB drive.

Some of the things that come to mind initially....