Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ryzen OC / Ram Advice

First getting Any new parts is NOT possible atm so only working with what i got. Going to be trying to push the max out of my ryzen 5 1600 for while streaming games. Any recommended clocks to start with? But my main question is how much performance gain would i gain from switching from the 3 sticks to just 2 for dual channel 16gb. Also would doing so help with overclocking my memory? 

Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 (Non AF)
GPU: GTX 1060 6gb SSC & Gt 1030 2gb gddr5
RAM: 3 sticks of ddr4 8gb 2400mhz gskill corsair 
STORAGE: 2 240gb sata ssd's 
PSU: 650w 80+ bronze Corsair

4 minutes ago, SkylarThatGuy said:

how much performance gain would i gain from switching from the 3 sticks to just 2

No benefit whatsoever. Modern CPU's already take advantage of dual-channel for the RAM it can do this with.

You could benchmark both configs to test this.

5 minutes ago, SkylarThatGuy said:

Also would doing so help with overclocking my memory?

Probably yes, but the extent so is debatable. You'd have to test your specific chip to find out.

8 minutes ago, SkylarThatGuy said:

Any recommended clocks to start with?

Using Ryzen Master, fix 1.4 V and push clocks until it becomes unstable. This is your starting point. From here, it's your choice to chase higher clocks, or lower voltages. Make sure to shave 50-100 MHz when you're done to ensure stability.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 Fedora 35 x86_64

Secondary: Intel Xeon W3680, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060, 24 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 Windows 10 Home x86_64

Server: 2x Intel Xeon X5670, 72 GB 1333 MHz DDR3-R Ubuntu Server 20.04.3 LTS x86_64

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x Windows 11 Home 21H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 Windows 10 Pro 21H2 x86_64

3 hours ago, SkylarThatGuy said:

First getting Any new parts is NOT possible atm so only working with what i got. Going to be trying to push the max out of my ryzen 5 1600 for while streaming games. Any recommended clocks to start with? But my main question is how much performance gain would i gain from switching from the 3 sticks to just 2 for dual channel 16gb. Also would doing so help with overclocking my memory? 

Specs:

I've never done it, and if i'm wrong someone please correct me, but I'd be willing to guess that overclocking RAM with 3 sticks would be rather unstable.  I'd just enable XMP on your motherboard and be content with that.  

As for the OC of your CPU, just push it step by step until its unstable.  Ryzen Master is a nice tool for it because you wont have to reboot every time you want to test your settings.  

So take your stock, push all cores up 250 mhz at a time, apply changes, run Cinebench and see how stable it is.  Do this until it crashes trying to run Cinebench, then put it back to the last sable clock speed you had.  

Then, start dropping the voltage down a little at a time, running Cinebench between each setting to make sure it's stable.  Once Cinebench crashes, put it back to the lowest sable Voltage. 

Then, try pushing your CPU a little bit more.  Sometimes, the lower voltage will keep the temps down on the CPU so you can get more out of it.  Sometimes, it won't, just depends. 

5 hours ago, SkylarThatGuy said:

Specs:

For ocing the ram 

Just enable xmp/ dcop if that didn't work 

Try two sticks since generally 3 sticks are pretty tough to go by 

And if enabling xmp/dcop with 2 sticks didn't work update the bios if that didn't work well then you just lost silicon lottery because zen 1's imc (integrated memory controller) sucks and has SO many issues

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

You can overclock the memory via DOCP/XMP or manually by adjusting dram voltage ( maybe SOC voltage too but not always necessary ) , and then fine tweak it by adjusting the timings on it. Ram plays a kinda big role with Ryzen so you can squeeze a good chunk of performance out of the cpu by doing so. 

Would also advice to do the Ram stuff first and then overclock the Cpu. Had more trouble getting a stable overclocked Ram with OC'ed CPU then with a stock CPU that I overclocked afterwards. 

As for the CPU you can first aim for an all core overclock that is the same as the single core boost ( 3.6Ghz if I'm not mistaken ) and then if you got temperature/stability headroom as well are below max safe voltage, go for higher boost clocks. End of the line is probably around 3.8-3.9Ghz. 4Ghz only with golden chips and higher voltage that is not so suited for longevity. AMD said up to 1.45V is safe, so I would myself set a limit of 1.4V , or rather below 1.4 v to stay safe. 

You didn't tell us your mainboard, but that also makes a difference in how much you can achieve.