Browsers causing high CPU usage

Hi Guys, 

I had three browsers installed on my pc (I don't know why). So, I used Chrome, Firefox and Edge on my system. When I use Chrome and after closing it, there is background process running under the name Chrome which used about 45 to 50% of my CPU, this did not happen when I used the Chrome real-time. I opened the file location using task manager and shows that Chrome.exe is running. I uninstalled Chrome and Started using Firefox and same thing is happening (and this time background process is under the name of Firefox) . Edge doesn't give me any kind of issues like this. Just wondering , is there some kind of malware of virus which is forcing my browsers to use the CPU as  background process or what?

When you close chrome there should be a chrome icon in the system tray (near the wifi and sound icons), if you right click on that and unselect the option that says something like "allow chrome to run in background" then you should be good to go. I think having a lot of extensions causes this to happen though. And I'm not sure about firefox I'm afraid, unless it has some similar option, in which case it would be a nice, easy fix for both

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

2 minutes ago, bengeoghegan11 said:

When you close chrome there should be a chrome icon in the system tray (near the wifi and sound icons), if you right click on that and unselect the option that says something like "allow chrome to run in background" then you should be good to go. I think having a lot of extensions causes this to happen though. And I'm not sure about firefox I'm afraid, unless it has some similar option, in which case it would be a nice, easy fix for both

I tried that as well but it doesn't help me. firefox still uses 50% of cpu after closing it and this never use to happen with firefox earlier when i had chrome, but after uninstalling chrome the problem moved onto firefox..I have manually check task manager every time when i close a firefox window just in case it's not causing high cpu usage..

2 minutes ago, Karan95 said:

I tried that as well but it doesn't help me. firefox still uses 50% of cpu after closing it and this never use to happen with firefox earlier when i had chrome, but after uninstalling chrome the problem moved onto firefox..I have manually check task manager every time when i close a firefox window just in case it's not causing high cpu usage..

Ah right, have you checked the start up tab in task manager and that chrome and firefox are disabled? Also I don't know if this will help but in chrome type chrome://settings/onStartup into the search bar and go into the advanced options and down to this, check that this is unchecked:

image.png.48e1dc6bda5172b4f83f1bbedc286c75.png

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB