WD Hard Drives

LukeJ1234

Hey there guys ive been looking at the Western Digital (WD) Hard drives and i see theres Red, Blue, Black & Green so whats the differences between them all. I am currently trying to decide on either getting a WD 2TB green hard drive or just a 2TB WD black.

So whats youre opinions.

Red is for Raid setups

Blacks are higher performance (so they say)

Blues are the standard drive nothing special

Greens are low power

Personally I run only Seagate Barracudas.

Red is for Raid setups

Blacks are higher performance (so they say)

Blues are the standard drive nothing special

Greens are low power

Personally I run only Seagate Barracudas.

So should i go for Either a  2x 2TB WD green or just 1 WD 2TB black?

red=NAS optimized

blue=overall, for day to day use

black=performance optimized

green='lower' power consumption( There's not that big of a difference but it's there. DON'T use RAID with these drives)

I'm running a 2TB barracuda.

Depends on what you want. If you want storage go with the green, if you need and want the extra "Umph!" go with the black.

I'd say get 2 Barracuda ST2000DM003's

i don't think a wd black makes much sense anymore.

a Seagate Desktop SSHD 2TB, SATA 6Gb/s (ST2000DX001) is cheaper than a WD black and faster than any normal hdd.

red=NAS optimized

blue=overall, for day to day use

black=performance optimized

green='lower' power consumption( There's not that big of a difference but it's there. DON'T use RAID with these drives)

I'm running a 2TB barracuda.

This deserves top answer (unless a better on comes up). Very informative, yet simple to understand.

Personally I think you should go with either Blues/ Blacks.

Back when I used HDD's I used WD Blacks. Great HDD.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

black WDs are supposedly for performance, but there actually isn't any difference that's of note between those and the blues. Just go for the standard WD blues, altough what I say for HDDs is basically get the cheapest HDD from your capacity from any brand. It's all about price, and if you find a seagate barracuda for cheaper (or even the same price because they have lower failure rates), then go for it. Same thing if you find a cheaper than WD Hitachi or Toshiba hard drive, then just buy them instead. 

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

This deserves top answer (unless a better on comes up). Very informative, yet simple to understand.

Personally I think you should go with either Blues/ Blacks.

Back when I used HDD's I used WD Blacks. Great HDD.

Yea, I personally wouldn't spend the extra money on the blacks for the small performance gain. You'll be fine with a blue or green.

Depends on what you want. If you want storage go with the green, if you need and want the extra "Umph!" go with the black.

Whats the power difference between the two like in Rpm's ?

I'd say get 2 Barracuda ST2000DM003's

Hmm ok i heard there not reliable and fail alot whats youre view on this

i don't think a wd black makes much sense anymore.

a Seagate Desktop SSHD 2TB, SATA 6Gb/s (ST2000DX001) is cheaper than a WD black and faster than any normal hdd.

So a Barracuda is better than a Wd black ?

I've been running 13 of them for over 2 years with 0 issues.

wat. I posted literally the exact same thing a few minutes before he did.

I've been running 13 of them for over 2 years with 0 issues.

Ok then so is it ok to mix hard drives like have a seagate and western digital in the one pc

Ok then so is it ok to mix hard drives like have a seagate and western digital in the one pc

Yes

no a normal barracuda is fast but not as reliable as a WD black. But you won't feel a difference in performance or reliabilty

If you want more speed get a SSHD Seagate Desktop SSHD 2TB, SATA 6Gb/s (ST2000DX001)

or if you have the money a SSD+HDD

I'll answer all three. All drives to my knowledge have 7200 RPM's.  What makes the difference between the two is the cache and WD Black has the most out of all three. So WD Black is the better performer out of both. Both if you need it for storage and files it doesn't make sense to get the Black edition Blue or Green would suit you just fine. But, WD Black editions have a 5 year warranty so that's a plus.

It depends with Seagate. Some have had drives failures, some haven't. The same goes with WD. Between the two brands it comes down to which one you had a better experience with. Personally, I had Seagate and WD Blue drive for storage. And both work fine. But from searching and reading reviews online the WD brand are the most reliable out of the two.

A Barracuda is almost the same as a WD Black. So they should provide the same performance but the Black has a five year warranty.

i have both and tbh no. always had problems with Seagate, failing on me after about 2 years they are making strange noises. But i still have my black , and my external 1TB WD drives had them for 5 years no problems so far :)

Current Build : 

CASE: Fractal Design R4 w/Window CPU: Intel 4930K,  RAM: 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz  Cooling: H100i  MotherBoard: Asus P9x79 Pro , PSU: CS750M   Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb , 1Tb Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Black,  Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3GB,  Monitors: AOC G2460PG ( G sync monitor), Edge10 24" 1080p , 24" 1680*1020p monitor ( LCD)  Microphone: Blue Yeti  Keyboard: Cougar 700k  Phone: Samsung Note 3  Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

Laptop:

CPU: 
4710MQ  Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Storage:120Gb 840 Evo + 1Tb 5400Rpm HDD  Graphics: GTX 850M 2GB   Screen: 1080p IPS  

I'll answer all three. All drives to my knowledge have 7200 RPM's.  What makes the difference between the two is the cache and WD Black has the most out of all three. So WD Black is the better performer out of both. Both if you need it for storage and files it doesn't make sense to get the Black edition Blue or Green would suit you just fine. But, WD Black editions have a 5 year warranty so that's a plus.

It depends with Seagate. Some have had drives failures, some haven't. The same goes with WD. Between the two brands it comes down to which one you had a better experience with. Personally, I had Seagate and WD Blue drive for storage. And both work fine. But from searching and reading reviews online the WD brand are the most reliable out of the two.

A Barracuda is almost the same as a WD Black. So they should provide the same performance but the Black has a five year warranty.

So then iv three choices:

1. Buy 2 WD 2TB Green hard drives.

2.Buy a barracuda 2TB

3.Buy a  WD 2TB black

So then iv three choices:

1. Buy 2 WD 2TB Green hard drives.

2.Buy a barracuda 2TB

3.Buy a  WD 2TB black

If you want storage go for the two green drives. If you want performance and don't mind spending a little more go for the Black.

If you want storage go for the two green drives. If you want performance and don't mind spending a little more go for the Black.

or for giggles get a velociraptor (10k RPM) 1TB :P

Current Build : 

CASE: Fractal Design R4 w/Window CPU: Intel 4930K,  RAM: 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz  Cooling: H100i  MotherBoard: Asus P9x79 Pro , PSU: CS750M   Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb , 1Tb Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Black,  Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3GB,  Monitors: AOC G2460PG ( G sync monitor), Edge10 24" 1080p , 24" 1680*1020p monitor ( LCD)  Microphone: Blue Yeti  Keyboard: Cougar 700k  Phone: Samsung Note 3  Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

Laptop:

CPU: 
4710MQ  Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Storage:120Gb 840 Evo + 1Tb 5400Rpm HDD  Graphics: GTX 850M 2GB   Screen: 1080p IPS  

Does the green give good performance ?

You probably wouldn't notice a difference between the Black and Blue, but please, for noise' sake, get a Seagate ST2000DX001.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

There are 7200RMP Greens, Blacks and Barracudas.

I've been running Barracudas for a long time without issue, in my experience theyre pretty good.

A WD Black will be faster than a Barracuda, but also more expensive. I have a WD Blue and it far outperforms my 1TB Barracuda, so I would guess that the Black would also outperform a Barracuda.

A Seagate Barracuda is by no means a bad option, but Greens are great for storage of large files with low power consumption and heat :)

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."