GPU Predicament

kjgruber

Long story short, I purchased a cheap refurbished X570 motherboard because it was the only white one I could find in stock. The other night, a USB shorted my system and fried the motherboard. I plugged my graphics card into my old intel system and it won't post. I think that system has other problems; however, my graphics card might be gone too. It was a 5700xt Red Dragon. If I do have to purchase another graphics card, I'm unsure of what to go with. I thoroughly enjoyed the 5700xt, but I don't think it makes sense to buy another one. Moreover, I would like a white card too. This card interest me (https://www.newegg.com/asus-geforce-rtx-2080-super-rog-strix-rtx2080s-o8g-white-gaming/p/N82E16814126396?Description=white 2080&cm_re=white_2080-_-14-126-396-_-Product). I haven't done a ton of research into 2080 cards. How is there price to performance? Also, with 3080 on the horizon, I'm unsure of what to do. Buy an expensive card that will likely last me a few years. Buy a cheaper card, that I can resell, when 3080 drops. Honestly, I should buy whatever suffices my current needs, which is mostly 1440p gaming and some 4k gaming. Furthermore, I hate to add to chorus of "should I wait" post, but I'm stuck in this lose lose GPU pickle and can't decide. 

That was more like short story long but whichever.

Sounds like your current problem is you broke your motherboard and likely won’t be able to find a replacement one in the color you like to start with.  Seems like replacing that should happen before you worry about GPUs

1. replace the motherboard.  You may not be able to get white anyway.

2. See if the 5700xt works (it might)

3. If the 5700xt works stop worrying.  IF it doesn’t maybe try for an RMA. IF that doesn’t work either worry about gpu replacement.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

20 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

That was more like short story long but whichever.

Sounds like your current problem is you broke your motherboard and likely won’t be able to find a replacement one in the color you like to start with.  Seems like replacing that should happen before you worry about GPUs

1. replace the motherboard.  You may not be able to get white anyway.

2. See if the 5700xt works (it might)

3. If the 5700xt works stop worrying.  IF it doesn’t maybe try for an RMA. IF that doesn’t work either worry about gpu replacement.

I already ordered another motherboard. What scares me is my GPU won’t post in a separate system. However, that system has the same PSU. Luckily, I have a new PSU on the way. I just have to wait. I guess I shouldn’t panic buy because I’m bored but I’m frustrated. Maybe if I went through Red Dragon, I could RMA the card. Unlikely but I’ll try. 

Ah.  So it’s a waiting issue.  Maybe find something else to deal with till the new motherboard and PSU comes and you can test the red dragon to see if it’s even broken in the first place (the failure on a working mobo doesn’t bode well though) Setting up for a possible RMA can’t hurt in the meantime.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.