Graphics card temp

I'm currently running a GTX 1080 at 1440P 144hz and I'm looking for ways to keep the temps down. It's been good so far, usually stays around 70 - 74 when I play Overwatch or Prey. But I recently started playing Rainbow Six Siege again, and saw temps go up to 78. I used MSI Afterburner to customize the fan curve (50% fan speed when 40c, 60% when 50c, etc).

3 minutes ago, prostrike33 said:

I'm currently running a GTX 1080 at 1440P 144hz and I'm looking for ways to keep the temps down. It's been good so far, usually stays around 70 - 74 when I play Overwatch or Prey. But I recently started playing Rainbow Six Siege again, and saw temps go up to 78. I used MSI Afterburner to customize the fan curve (50% fan speed when 40c, 60% when 50c, etc).

Your temps are still fine but I do not know what cooler you have. Make sure case air flow is good and the video card is clean.

A little bit faster fan speed can help, I have a blower card so I use an aggressive fan curve.

image.png.f322d9b1c764dd3ff9b9560257b4a12a.png

It never hits 80 degrees, the max it hits is maybe 72. Lol, I could slow the fan down to make quieter.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

78C under load is still fine, my 1080ti gets into the mid 80s when it is getting stressed. Once the temps get above 85C under load, that is when I would start to worry. If you want to lower the temps anyway, apart from tuning the fan curve to make sure the fans are maxed, you can try to replace the thermal paste, but the card isn't that old so you probably wouldn't see a drastic difference. The other thing to do would be to optimize airflow, either by adding more fans or getting a case with better airflow. 

Edit: If your card is dusty blowing out the heatsink will help.

19 minutes ago, MadAnt250 said:

Your temps are still fine but I do not know what cooler you have. Make sure case air flow is good and the video card is clean.

A little bit faster fan speed can help, I have a blower card so I use an aggressive fan curve.

I have an open style cooler. I was worried the temps where getting too hot. I have the fractal design meshify c case with 4 corsiar ML120 case fans (2 front intake and 2 exhaust)

I might, however, try a slightly more aggressive fan curve.

26 minutes ago, The_russian said:

78C under load is still fine, my 1080ti gets into the mid 80s when it is getting stressed. Once the temps get above 85C under load, that is when I would start to worry. If you want to lower the temps anyway, apart from tuning the fan curve to make sure the fans are maxed, you can try to replace the thermal paste, but the card isn't that old so you probably wouldn't see a drastic difference. The other thing to do would be to optimize airflow, either by adding more fans or getting a case with better airflow. 

Edit: If your card is dusty blowing out the heatsink will help.

Okay. I was worried the temps where getting too hot. Would still like to keep temps around 75c or below so I might try a slightly more aggressive fan curve, but it's good to hear that 78c is fine.