GSYNC

JacobKS

Hello,

Good day, trying to have more knowledge about Gsync and have much clearer point of view. 

If the refresh rate of the monitor will sync up to the GPU's frame rate we'll have a smoother experience about the game as this is Gsync.

And having a 144hz and 60hz are very different as the 144hz is super noticeable for me.

So if you have 144hz monitor and your GPU can only provide 50fps for example and you will see on the screen of the monitor is 50FPS/50HZ? Is this correct if I may ask? As the refresh rate of the monitor will depend on the GPU's frame rate/FPS?

If it is then the feature of the monitor having 144hz is useless as Gsync will match the refresh rate of the monitor on the graphics card's frame rate.

Also what if its vice versa like the GPU can provide 180FPS and your monitor is only up to 144hz, which of them will adjust to match the Gsync, will the GPU frame rate/FPS will decrease automatically to 144FPS to match to the monitor's refresh rate of 144hz?

If none of them can adjust if the GPU is much higher then there will no Gsync?

Kind Regards,

Jacob

I use Gsync on my main display, I can try to answer some of these questions.

It matches the framerate that the gpu can pump out down to a certain limit (I think its somewhere in the 40s), making it feel less stuttery when this happens (1% lows etc).

That said, if you are getting 50 fps in game, the monitor will set itself to 50hz. (Having 144hz for 50 fps gameplay wouldn't make any difference in responsiveness or smoothness, any competitive gamers feel free to correct me on this).

When you have fps higher than 144hz (180 etc), the display will allow the gpu to output them, but Gsync will act like Vsync except no noticable mouse lag (as a casual I do not notice) and no performance hit. (For this to work on my specific display, a game must be in borderless windowed mode for some reason, unsure if its my display or a bug with Windows)

Hope this helps.

Pizza is the best food group

3 minutes ago, FeIIex said:

That said, if you are getting 50 fps in game, the monitor will set itself to 50hz. (Having 144hz for 50 fps gameplay wouldn't make any difference in responsiveness or smoothness, any competitive gamers feel free to correct me on this).

So what is the outcome if the GPU is at 50FPS and the monitor is set to 144hz? What will the monitor output 50hz or 144hz?

5 minutes ago, FeIIex said:

When you have fps higher than 144hz (180 etc), the display will allow the gpu to output them, but Gsync will act like Vsync except no noticable mouse lag (as a casual I do not notice) and no performance hit. (For this to work on my specific display, a game must be in borderless windowed mode for some reason, unsure if its my display or a bug with Windows)

Will act like Vsync meaning the Gsync will totally not work?

If this is the case for GPU being higher than HZ is there a way to automatically reduce the FPS being provided. For example GPU is running at 180FPS can you manually set it to run at 144FPS to match to the monitor's refresh rate and have Gsync activated?

It's really all down to your hardware, if your rig can output for example 120-160fps then Gsync will smooth it out at 144hz but no amount of Gsyn/Freesync will really help if your cpu and gpu aren't powerful enough.

You need to turn off vsync if you are running gsync. 

2 minutes ago, JacobKS said:

So what is the outcome if the GPU is at 50FPS and the monitor is set to 144hz? What will the monitor output 50hz or 144hz?

The monitor will set itself to 50hz if you're only getting 50 fps. If it increases to 60 fps a second later, it will be 60hz.

3 minutes ago, JacobKS said:

Will act like Vsync meaning the Gsync will totally not work?

It prevents screentearing just like Vsync would, but it has no noticable mouse input lag (to me) and the Gpu will not be locked to 144 fps. It will run 300+ fps just fine, but the monitor will be at 144hz.

5 minutes ago, JacobKS said:

If this is the case for GPU being higher than HZ is there a way to automatically reduce the FPS being provided. For example GPU is running at 180FPS can you manually set it to run at 144FPS to match to the monitor's refresh rate and have Gsync activated?

If your drivers are up to date, you can manually lock the fps in nvidia's control panel to whatever you want.

Vsync must be off for Gsync to work as well.

6 minutes ago, Rancidpunk said:

It's really all down to your hardware, if your rig can output for example 120-160fps then Gsync will smooth it out at 144hz but no amount of Gsyn/Freesync will really help if your cpu and gpu aren't powerful enough.

You need to turn off vsync if you are running gsync. 

Thank you for the additional information, much appreciated.

5 minutes ago, FeIIex said:

If your drivers are up to date, you can manually lock the fps in nvidia's control panel to whatever you want.

What if you locked it at 144FPS and your GPU can only provide for that game a 90FPS. It will be outputted as 90FPS/90HZ correct?

1 minute ago, JacobKS said:

What if you locked it at 144FPS and your GPU can only provide for that game a 90FPS. It will be outputted as 90FPS/90HZ correct?

Yep!

1 minute ago, FeIIex said:

Yep

Going back to the GPU that has a 50FPS and the monitor will automatically run at 50HZ, meaning you wont really get the 144hz feature? As this is very useful, so basically when you have a Gsync monitor you should have a really powerful graphics card to provide high frame rates and therefore higher HZ too as they are combined as one when using a Gsync?

6 minutes ago, JacobKS said:

Going back to the GPU that has a 50FPS and the monitor will automatically run at 50HZ, meaning you wont really get the 144hz feature? As this is very useful, so basically when you have a Gsync monitor you should have a really powerful graphics card to provide high frame rates and therefore higher HZ too as they are combined as one when using a Gsync?

When purchasing any 144hz monitor, I would always ensure your pc is able to run at that framerate at the resolution you want. My PC has a 1070 in it, and it is unable to run games at the 1440p 144hz of my monitor. But I do get the benefit of 144hz in older games, like L4D2.

Even if it cannot reach 144 fps in all games, Gsync will make things feel more smooth when its at a lower framerate.

1 minute ago, FeIIex said:

When purchasing any 144hz monitor, I would always ensure your pc is able to run at that framerate at the resolution you want. My PC has a 1070 in it, and it is unable to run games at the 1440p 144hz of my monitor. But I do get the benefit of 144hz in older games, like L4D2.

Even if it cannot reach 144 fps in all games, Gsync will make things feel more smooth when its at a lower framerate.

Thank you for all of these, appreciate your time, that would be all.

I've got a 9400f and a 1660ti on a gsync 1080p 144hz monitor which runs some games I play at high settings (World of Tanks, Modern Warfare, GTA 5) over 144fps.

Other games I play like Anno 1800 or Total War titles run well below 144fps at times so I turn some graphics settings down to medium to increase my fps - this improves the smoothness of the gameplay. If I want to run either of these games at high graphic settings I have to change to 60hz resolution and then it's acceptably smooth but still more than my hardware can really manage.