Thinking about the Fractal Design Era....

Hi guys. Planning an ITX system for my next build.

The Fractal Era got lots of hate and poor reviews for thermals, especially GPU thermals. However all the reviews I've seen were using open air GPUs, which would then begin to cook in their own exhaust. (80+°c)

I was thinking, maybe a blower style card preform better? Thoughts?

(Or maybe suggest another SFF case that can support a 240mm rad?)

Blower gpus by nature cannot handle very high thermal loads as they have significantly less cooling potential, even with a vapor chamber, due to the reduced fin area. A blower would help in removing heat overall but for instance I doubt a 2080 Ti would handle well under a blower.

I think the Geeek A60 (plus),Streacom DA2, and NCase M1 all support 240mm rads but they are either pricey, hard to find, or both :/ 

Daily Driver: Asus ROG Flow X13 - 5900HS/3050 Ti

Primary Desktop: NCase M1 - 5800X3D/RX 6950XT

Travel PC: Fractal Terra - 5800X/RTX 3060 Ti

I have too many computers. List here.

On 5/12/2020 at 3:25 PM, ShadowChaser said:

Blower gpus by nature cannot handle very high thermal loads as they have significantly less cooling potential, even with a vapor chamber, due to the reduced fin area. A blower would help in removing heat overall but for instance I doubt a 2080 Ti would handle well under a blower.

I think the Geeek A60 (plus),Streacom DA2, and NCase M1 all support 240mm rads but they are either pricey, hard to find, or both :/ 

I have 1080 founders that I'm still happy with, I had thought it might be OK in that environment but I'm not sure if I want to spend €180 as a guiny pig project.

But yeah it seems increasingly hard to find an ITX case that's not only in stock but doesn't also cost the earth.

Giving the Geeek A60 a look now, it might be what I'm after in terms of price + form factor.

2 hours ago, Oisdf said:

I have 1080 founders that I'm still happy with, I had thought it might be OK in that environment but I'm not sure if I want to spend €180 as a guiny pig project.

But yeah it seems increasingly hard to find an ITX case that's not only in stock but doesn't also cost the earth.

Giving the Geeek A60 a look now, it might be what I'm after in terms of price + form factor.

I personally got a NCase M1 and the form factor is very similar. The only problem with these smaller cases is that it's usually terrible to build in, but they are great once they're built

Daily Driver: Asus ROG Flow X13 - 5900HS/3050 Ti

Primary Desktop: NCase M1 - 5800X3D/RX 6950XT

Travel PC: Fractal Terra - 5800X/RTX 3060 Ti

I have too many computers. List here.