GPU Cables

ksmith2001

This is probably a dumb question, but are there cables you can get they don't split off on the end? I'd like to have some white power supply cords that run separately instead of splitting off like the ones that came with my power supply. I attached a picture to show what I am talking about.

IMG_0757.jpg

4 minutes ago, ksmith2001 said:

This is probably a dumb question, but are there cables you can get they don't split off on the end? I'd like to have some white power supply cords that run separately instead of splitting off like the ones that came with my power supply. I attached a picture to show what I am talking about.

IMG_0757.jpg

Is that a Corsair RMi series PSU? Looks like it based on the cord type and the fact it has capacitors in the big bulky heatshrinked ends, although maybe other PSU's have that now as well. I have two RM650i's and they are the same.

Anyways, to answer you question, those are 6+2 pin cables, so you would want just 6 pin ends. Cablemod certainly has you covered, they will have cables that are like that, but those stock cables with those capacitors at the end make the power cleaner to the GPU... the cablemod cables don't normally have that I don't think. Is it a huge deal? No, not really. Just letting you know the nitty gritty detail.

Cablemod.com, put the PSU you have in, and look for the exact cable you want, I think they will even do totally custom cables if you want as well, although that get pretty expensive. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

2 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

If you want cheaper cables that still look good, check out a company called AsiaHorse. https://www.amazon.com/Asiahorse-Customization-Sleeve-Extension-red/dp/B073W77TRM

The only thing I have against extensions is don't use them unless you absolutely have to. Longer wire means more voltage drop over the length of it due to resistance, I assume it will also increase the ripple (although I am not sure that is true, just using my best guess). Is that a HUGE deal, likely not. But, it is a consideration. I have used extensions before when I had no other choice, but if you can avoid them, I typically advise that.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

4 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

The only thing I have against extensions is don't use them unless you absolutely have to. Longer wire means more voltage drop over the length of it due to resistance, I assume it will also increase the ripple (although I am not sure that is true, just using my best guess). Is that a HUGE deal, likely not. But, it is a consideration. I have used extensions before when I had no other choice, but if you can avoid them, I typically advise that.

Am I able to just buy a separate cable and not an extension that doesn't split at the end like the one I have now?

Just now, ksmith2001 said:

Am I able to just buy a separate cable and not an extension that doesn't split at the end like the one I have now?

Are you talking about splitting into the two plugs that your GPU needs? Or splitting with that little baby 2 pin bit sticking out to the side?

You have two options, buy 2 single 6 pin cables, run them both to the PSU and then connect to the GPU, or buy a single cable that splits into dual 6 pins at the GPU end. Both of those exist.

Make sure this is your PSU before you buy anything as I am just guessing, but this is a single 6 pin: https://store.cablemod.com/product/cablemod-modflex-6-pin-pci-e-cable-for-corsair-rmi-rmx-rm-black-label/#

What you have, it looks like, is a dual 6+2 pin. So you can get 2 single 6 pins, or a single dual 6 pin. I am not 100% sure what your asking, but that should give you all the detail you need. and I am pretty sure cable mod has every single option you can want. Just search for the cables for your PSU.

41 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

Are you talking about splitting into the two plugs that your GPU needs? Or splitting with that little baby 2 pin bit sticking out to the side?

You have two options, buy 2 single 6 pin cables, run them both to the PSU and then connect to the GPU, or buy a single cable that splits into dual 6 pins at the GPU end. Both of those exist.

Make sure this is your PSU before you buy anything as I am just guessing, but this is a single 6 pin: https://store.cablemod.com/product/cablemod-modflex-6-pin-pci-e-cable-for-corsair-rmi-rmx-rm-black-label/#

What you have, it looks like, is a dual 6+2 pin. So you can get 2 single 6 pins, or a single dual 6 pin. I am not 100% sure what your asking, but that should give you all the detail you need. and I am pretty sure cable mod has every single option you can want. Just search for the cables for your PSU.

Yeah I do have a rmx, but my gpu has one 8 pin and one 6 pin, am I able to buy 1 8 pin cord and 1 6 pin cord? 

2 hours ago, ksmith2001 said:

Yeah I do have a rmx, but my gpu has one 8 pin and one 6 pin, am I able to buy 1 8 pin cord and 1 6 pin cord? 

Ah, gotcha. And yes, you can. Assuming cablemod has them, which I am sure they do. 

Look at that: https://store.cablemod.com/product/cablemod-modflex-8-pin-pci-e-cable-for-corsair-rmi-rmx-rm-black-label/

That + the link I posed previously would do ya. With that said, does it "really matter"? You can just tuck that little 2 pin wire in somehow so it doesn't stick out as "ugly" as it is now, and save yourself a few bucks. Or, yea, you can buy those two cables and call it a day.