How can I improve my RAM overclock?

I OC'd my RAM with the auto settings on the BIOS (2x8 T Force Vulcan 2666) to 3200mhz, without changing voltage or timings. That's what is being shown on CPU-Z:
cpuz-ram.png.7510689d265a5b5bef6d695ea3a5f639.png  

I think the timings aren't ideal, and I would like to know if it's dangerous to mess with it and what's the worse thing that can happen. Also, my voltage is 1.2v, do I need to increase it, and how much should I be able to do so without it being risky?
Thanks in advance!

To OC, you have to slowly increase RAM voltage like really slowly.

With memory, they don't produce much heat at all, so it's quite safe. Even on unstable overclocks, the worst that happens is you'll get an error when testing for stability and be kicked back to the drawing board. Though if you’re trying this on a laptop, you’ll want to verify that you’re able to clear CMOS (to reset the BIOS to default settings) if something does go wrong. 

most DDR4 RAM is usually 3000 Mhz, 3200 Mhz, or higher. This is because of XMP (Extreme Memory Profile). XMP is essentially the RAM telling the system, “Hey, I know DDR4 is only supposed to support speeds up to 2666 Mhz, but why don’t you go ahead and overclock me to the speed on the box?” It’s an overclock from the factory, already pre-tuned, tested, and ready to go. It accomplishes this at the hardware level with a chip on the RAM itself called a serial presence detect chip, so there’s only ever one XMP profile per stick

The hardest part of overclocking RAM is finding out what speed and timings you should use because the BIOS has more than 30 separate settings for you to tweak. Luckily, only four of them are considered ‘Primary’ timings, and you can calculate them with a tool called “Ryzen DRAM Calculator.” It’s tailored to AMD systems, but it will still work for Intel users as it’s largely about the memory timings, not the CPU.

Download the tool and fill in your RAM speed and what type you have (if you don’t know, a quick Google search for your RAM’s part number should bring up some results). Press the purple “R – XMP” button to load your kit’s rated specs, and then press “Calculate SAFE” or “Calculate FAST” to view your new timings. 

You can compare these timings with the rated specs using the “compare timings” button, and you’ll find that everything is tightened up a bit on the SAFE settings, and the primary CAS latency is reduced on the FAST settings. It’s hit or miss whether the FAST settings will work well for you, as it depends on the kit coming with a loose bin from the factory, but you can likely get it working on a safe voltage range.

You’ll want to send a screenshot of this to another device because you’ll need to enter these timings in the BIOS. Then, once you get it working, you’ll need to verify the overclock is stable using the calculator’s built-in memory tester. 42416141_unknown_png__1096828_-2.png.31d3a94adb9d1b079b84ec80c18961af.png

On 5/8/2020 at 11:35 PM, GiftedNovaHD said:

With memory, they don't produce much heat at all, so it's quite safe. Even on unstable overclocks, the worst that happens is you'll get an error when testing for stability and be kicked back to the drawing board. Though if you’re trying this on a laptop, you’ll want to verify that you’re able to clear CMOS (to reset the BIOS to default settings) if something does go wrong. 

most DDR4 RAM is usually 3000 Mhz, 3200 Mhz, or higher. This is because of XMP (Extreme Memory Profile). XMP is essentially the RAM telling the system, “Hey, I know DDR4 is only supposed to support speeds up to 2666 Mhz, but why don’t you go ahead and overclock me to the speed on the box?” It’s an overclock from the factory, already pre-tuned, tested, and ready to go. It accomplishes this at the hardware level with a chip on the RAM itself called a serial presence detect chip, so there’s only ever one XMP profile per stick

The hardest part of overclocking RAM is finding out what speed and timings you should use because the BIOS has more than 30 separate settings for you to tweak. Luckily, only four of them are considered ‘Primary’ timings, and you can calculate them with a tool called “Ryzen DRAM Calculator.” It’s tailored to AMD systems, but it will still work for Intel users as it’s largely about the memory timings, not the CPU.

Download the tool and fill in your RAM speed and what type you have (if you don’t know, a quick Google search for your RAM’s part number should bring up some results). Press the purple “R – XMP” button to load your kit’s rated specs, and then press “Calculate SAFE” or “Calculate FAST” to view your new timings. 

You can compare these timings with the rated specs using the “compare timings” button, and you’ll find that everything is tightened up a bit on the SAFE settings, and the primary CAS latency is reduced on the FAST settings. It’s hit or miss whether the FAST settings will work well for you, as it depends on the kit coming with a loose bin from the factory, but you can likely get it working on a safe voltage range.

You’ll want to send a screenshot of this to another device because you’ll need to enter these timings in the BIOS. Then, once you get it working, you’ll need to verify the overclock is stable using the calculator’s built-in memory tester. 42416141_unknown_png__1096828_-2.png.31d3a94adb9d1b079b84ec80c18961af.png

hey, first of all, I REALLY appreciate your help, tks for the info! But I couldn't do this, because thaiphoon couldn't tell what was the die type, and that seems to be a common problem on teamgroup's ram, all it could tell me is that it has a Micron Technologies chip. Anyways, my performance on games have improved, but the timings are still the same as before, because when I try to change them I do something wrong and I have to reset CMOS to get my pc booting again.
I really don't know much about overclocking, but this guy recommended me to try out "1.4v and try 16-18-18-36". Do you think I should, and could this voltage damage my RAM? 

4 minutes ago, ZuubuMafu said:

hey, first of all, I REALLY appreciate your help, tks for the info! But I couldn't do this, because thaiphoon couldn't tell what was the die type, and that seems to be a common problem on teamgroup's ram, all it could tell me is that it has a Micron Technologies chip. Anyways, my performance on games have improved, but the timings are still the same as before, because when I try to change them I do something wrong and I have to reset CMOS to get my pc booting again.
I really don't know much about overclocking, but this guy recommended me to try out "1.4v and try 16-18-18-36". Do you think I should, and could this voltage damage my RAM? 

Give me your CPU and motherboard model. I'll take a look and let's see what we can do. In fact if you increase too much the DRAM voltage you will damage the memory, and at 1.45 V you’re safe. But when you increase DRAM voltage, you have to look at the memory controller voltage, because when it’s on auto, it can increase automatically, and then eventually degrade the IMC. On Ryzen CPU it’s called SoC voltage, and on intel CPU I don’t remember. So if you overclock your memory and increase the DRAM voltage, look at the IMC voltage and try to maintain it at the minimal value you can. 1.4V is quite safe as RAM is not like the CPU or GPU. As long as your CPU can handle it, 1.45V is ok. If you do not want to, it is perfectly fine and you can stay at 1.35V to be in the safe zone

32 minutes ago, GiftedNovaHD said:

Give me your CPU and motherboard model. I'll take a look and let's see what we can do. In fact if you increase too much the DRAM voltage you will damage the memory, and at 1.45 V you’re safe. But when you increase DRAM voltage, you have to look at the memory controller voltage, because when it’s on auto, it can increase automatically, and then eventually degrade the IMC. On Ryzen CPU it’s called SoC voltage, and on intel CPU I don’t remember. So if you overclock your memory and increase the DRAM voltage, look at the IMC voltage and try to maintain it at the minimal value you can. 1.4V is quite safe as RAM is not like the CPU or GPU. As long as your CPU can handle it, 1.45V is ok. If you do not want to, it is perfectly fine and you can stay at 1.35V to be in the safe zone

I own a Ryzen 7 2700 and an asrock a320m-hd. do you think I should try those timings he suggested? i'll look more into what's that IMC voltage
EDIT: my psu is a aerocool 600w

23 hours ago, ZuubuMafu said:

I own a Ryzen 7 2700 and an asrock a320m-hd. do you think I should try those timings he suggested? i'll look more into what's that IMC voltage
EDIT: my psu is a aerocool 600w

Ryzen 7 2700 and A320? That is a serious bottleneck for CPU and Motherboard. You can overclock, but don't overexert your motherboard. the RAM timings should be fine 

2 hours ago, GiftedNovaHD said:

Ryzen 7 2700 and A320? That is a serious bottleneck for CPU and Motherboard. You can overclock, but don't overexert your motherboard. the RAM timings should be fine 

I'll test 1.4v with 16-18-18-36 then. 
I didn't know much about mobos until some time after i purchased my PC:/.
I'm considering buying a B350/B450, but I don't know if I should just wait for DDR5 or smth. What do you think? Have a good one! :) 

On 5/9/2020 at 5:35 AM, GiftedNovaHD said:

Couldn't explain it better

Nice explanation dude 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

On 5/11/2020 at 2:48 PM, ZuubuMafu said:

I'll test 1.4v with 16-18-18-36 then. 
I didn't know much about mobos until some time after i purchased my PC:/.
I'm considering buying a B350/B450, but I don't know if I should just wait for DDR5 or smth. What do you think? Have a good one! :) 

DDR5 is not going to come so early and it is most likely going to be available in well 2022 or something and only available in High end desktops or servers. Right now don't buy a B450. You should wait for B550 as the new chips offer great value with a reasonable price. However if you don't want to upgrade it, you can switch your chipset to B450 as it is a MOBO designed for Ryzen 2nd Gen chips. Owing to your CPU, it should be less bottlenecked with your new motherboard and should be future proofed as long as it is a Ryzen 7