2080 super running unusually hot?

delroyjones
Go to solution Solved by delroyjones,

For anyone who runs into this problem in the future, make sure the screws on your back plate are TIGHT! I got sick of having 85+ degrees when gaming and decided to throw caution to the wind, cranking the screws are tight as they would go.

And wouldn't ya know it, max temps are a much more reasonable 70 degrees now! Phew!!

Hi all,

I just got new gigabyte 2080 super gaming oc and ive been trying to get my case setup so everything can run as quietly as possible.

Problem is my old GPU had a built in AIO so I dont really have anything to compare to in terms of expected noise levels.

The card runs at 75+ degrees regardless of what game im trying to play (most of the time it hovers around 79/80 deg).

oh and its a bit of a lie to the customer calling this card "OC" edition when the power limit is factory locked at 100% (and still its hot as balls).

It's in a Lian-Li o11 D, ive currently got 7 ML120 Pro fans in there (4 intake, 3 exhaust, 2 top, 2 bottom, 3 side), its been fairly warm recently so im not expecting super frosty temps (my CPU is running about 45 deg at idle) but damn, onc this card gets above 70deg it gets annoyingly loud.

does anyone have any good ideas? is this normal for this card?

cheers

7 minutes ago, delroyjones said:

It shouldn't be too hot given how huge the cooler is

you can try undervolting it or something, maybe replacing the paste with something better and making sure the tension is tight.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Have you tried going to the GPU control panels and adjusting the GPU fan speed to max? Have you tried to like change GPU priorities as I have experienced this and found out that background processes are making my Aorus 2080 Super GPU hit 70 degrees while playing ROBLOX and once I removed background processes, I changed the GPU priority to "high" and fan max, so the temps dropped to about 50 degrees. If that does not work, maybe ask a professional who may know how to troubleshoot as those are my findings and I do not know everything. Also try better Thermal Paste, make sure heatsink and GPU core is close enough

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

It shouldn't be too hot given how huge the cooler is

you can try undervolting it or something, maybe replacing the paste with something better and making sure the tension is tight.

yeah i replaced the thermal paste (i was hoping that would solve it) but no difference. i'll keep trying but thx for the advice :)

2 minutes ago, GiftedNovaHD said:

Have you tried going to the GPU control panels and adjusting the GPU fan speed to max? Have you tried to like change GPU priorities as I have experienced this and found out that background processes are making my Aorus 2080 Super GPU hit 70 degrees while playing ROBLOX and once I removed background processes, I changed the GPU priority to "high" and fan max, so the temps dropped to about 50 degrees. If that does not work, maybe ask a professional who may know how to troubleshoot as those are my findings and I do not know everything

i was hoping not to resort to pushing my fan speed even higher, its already louder than i want it to be. i'll try and play around with the prios and background processes though, thanks mate :)

For anyone who runs into this problem in the future, make sure the screws on your back plate are TIGHT! I got sick of having 85+ degrees when gaming and decided to throw caution to the wind, cranking the screws are tight as they would go.

And wouldn't ya know it, max temps are a much more reasonable 70 degrees now! Phew!!