"Personifying" a computer

hawaiims

I'm trying to explain to my mom how each component in a computer interacts to each other, what they do etc.. In layman's terms, how would you explain it? 

I'm trying to personify a computer to explain it in simple terms

Here's what I got so far:

CPU is the brain, it commands everything and is crucial

Motherboard is like the nerve system. Your brain (cpu) uses it to communicate with other components and vice versa.

How else can you explain hwo a computer works (the other components and all) ? And feel free to link me to a page that will help me explain how a computer works to a n00bie like mom. 

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

The GPU is the thing that allows you to see. Sound card is your ear drum. Power supply is your stomach. Exhaust fans are your butt. Intake fans are your mouth/nose hole on your face. RAM is just temporary storage for Biology class and the HDD is for permanent storage (Math class).

PSU is the heart, it supplies power (i know in the body it's eating food, but it just works) or blood to the entire body.

The mouse and keyboard are like nerves that send signals to your brain and it reacts accordingly.

the hard drive is the long-term memory, RAM is short-term memory

CPU - You. The brain part that thinks.
Motherboard - Central Nervous System
RAM - Short term memory
Hard Drive - Long term memory
Solid State Drive - Faster long term memory
Graphics Card - Visual section of Brain, AKA Imagination or the Eyes
PSU - Stomach/digestive system, and heart/lungs AKA Vital Organs
Case - Body that houses it all.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

The GPU is the thing that allows you to see. Sound card is your ear drum. Power supply is your stomach. Exhaust fans are your butt. Intake fans are your mouth/nose hole on your face. RAM is just temporary storage for Biology class and the HDD is for permanent storage (Math class).

power supply should be the heart cause with out it you die xD

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

I don't think personifying a PC is the best way to explain how a PC works. If you're looking at ways of explaining each component, I would just stick to trying to outline what they do. 

The CPU is where the mathematical calculations on the computer occur. RAM is what the CPU uses to store information for fast access, this data is cleared every time the computer is turned off. The hard drive is where information is stored for future access and it is persistent, meaning that when power is lost or the computer is turned off, the hard drive keeps its data. The GPU is what draws what you see on screen, so the CPU will tell the GPU in mathematical terms what to draw and the GPU will then draw the picture out and sending it to the monitor. The motherboard provides the infrastructure for the components. The PSU takes power from the wall (AC) and converts it into a form of power the PC can use (12V, 5V DC). 

My Personal Rig - AMD 3970X | ASUS sTRX4-Pro | RTX 2080 Super | 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 | CoolerMaster H500P Mesh

My Wife's Rig - AMD 3900X | MSI B450I Gaming | 5500 XT 4GB | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 | Silverstone SG13 White

power supply should be the heart cause with out it you die xD

Well, you'd die without any organ... Or maybe not function properly

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

Well, you'd die without any organ... Or maybe not function properly

*Vital organ

Your eye is an organ. Testicles/ovaries are organs. I could go on. 

But Vital organs (At least 1 of either kidney, Liver, Lungs, Heart, etc.) are required to live. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

*Vital organ

But Vital organs (At least 1 of either kidney, Liver, Lungs, Heart, etc.) are required to live. 

Touche, though that's kinda what I mean't ^_^

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

I don't know how I would go about personifying computer parts, but one analogy I use to explain the difference between storage and memory is this:

Your desk space is the RAM. The larger the desk space (more GB), the more things you can have on it that are right in reach(running at the same time). Your drawers and cabinets are the HDD. This is where your files are stored. Going here to access your files takes a little longer, but there is more space. When you reboot your computer, you are taking everything on the desk and putting it in a drawer. Over time, these drawers can become a bit unorganized (fragmented), which makes it a little slower to access the files. Organizing these files (defragging) will not necessarily make your computer faster, but it will put things where they go and make them easier to find.

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 3700x CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Prism Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) SSD: Samsung 970 Plus 250GB NVME, WD Blue 2TB m.2, Crucial M500 240GB GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW PSU: Seasonic G-Series 550W CASE: Corsair 220T RGB

*Vital organ

weird how 2 of the 3 none-vital organs you listed are the sexual reproductive ones xD. Can we function with half a brain?

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

weird how 2 of the 3 none-vital organs you listed are the sexual reproductive ones xD. Can we function with half a brain?

Yes. That's why I didn't list it under VItal Organs. I just didn't think of it because I don't label it an organ. It probably is, I just don't imagine it as one because I can't give it a single function.

† Christian Member †