Prebuilt Power Supply and case reuse

Go to solution Solved by Guest,
2 hours ago, Tehqzy said:

Also as the topic title mentions, could i use the prebuilt case as well? Im asking this because i have no screws that came with it obviously as its like 10 years old and im worried they are important

It's a standard ATX.  90% of the time the stand offs should line up.  Worst case, you get a new motherboard and they don't.  Then what do you do?  You get a new case, which is where you would be regardless.

1 hour ago, Tehqzy said:

Ok thanks

He doesn't know what he's talking about.

Hi, i hope someone replies to this! i want to reuse my old power supply from a prebuilt computer and a case as well. i dont know if this is a good idea or not but i am on a budget and i need some advice. please let me know asap, thanks *btw first time using ltt forms*

What are ur specs and what type of psu is it?

1 minute ago, MiinD said:

What are ur specs and what type of psu is it?

the only thing i know about this psu is that its 450w. my cpu is a AMD Phenom X2 550 gpu - AMD Raedon HD 5750 HDD - WD 750GB 7200RPM it has some "Cool It systems" watercooler. i have the review of the prebuilt here https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/advent-cbe1401-centurion-amd-watercooled-gaming-pc

2 minutes ago, Tehqzy said:

the only thing i know about this psu is that its 450w. my cpu is a AMD Phenom X2 550 gpu - AMD Raedon HD 5750 HDD - WD 750GB 7200RPM it has some "Cool It systems" watercooler. i have the review of the prebuilt here https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/advent-cbe1401-centurion-amd-watercooled-gaming-pc

yeah that psu should be fine. but if i were you you should just build a pc part by part you can get a $700 cutom pc that has much better parts than the prebuild one.

Just now, MiinD said:

yeah that psu should be fine. but if i were you you should just build a pc part by part you can get a $700 cutom pc that has much better parts than the prebuild one.

I can make a list for you if youd like?

6 minutes ago, Tehqzy said:

Jesus Christ that's a horrible review.  They weren't even trying....

Advent’s gaming machine is powered by a generic CWT 450 watt power supply, which is fine to power the installed components but doesn’t leave too much room for future high-end graphics card plans, and we suspect it’s not the most power efficient either. 

Just look at the PSU and see what the model name is on it.   That's all.  It's a CWT.... what?  What model?  It's right there on the label.

3 minutes ago, MiinD said:

I can make a list for you if youd like?

by budget is £300 and im trying to get an rx580 in there

2 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Jesus Christ that's a horrible review.  They weren't even trying....

Just look at the PSU and see what the model name is on it.   That's all.  It's a CWT.... what?  What model?  It's right there on the label.

the model is DSA4505-6

6 minutes ago, MiinD said:

oh i already have the prebuilt im just thinking of re using it to make a new computer as it will be cheaper?

2 minutes ago, Tehqzy said:

by budget is £300 and im trying to get an rx580 in there

$300 buget with a rx580 wount be possible . Ill try tho

1 minute ago, MiinD said:

$300 buget with a rx580 wount be possible . Ill try tho

not even reusing a case and psu?

Just now, Tehqzy said:

not even reusing a case and psu?

oh nvmd yeah it should work

Just now, MiinD said:

oh nvmd yeah it should work

you sure i should use the psu cause i dont want my parts "blow up" lol

Just now, Tehqzy said:

you sure i should use the psu cause i dont want my parts "blow up" lol

no its fine blow up only happen when the psu was damged or its REALLY bad. But ill add a good psu in the list just in case

Just now, MiinD said:

no its fine blow up only happen when the psu was damged or its REALLY bad. But ill add a good psu in the list just in case

isnt it when the psu life is over? and how do i know if my power supply supports an rx580? 

Just now, Tehqzy said:

isnt it when the psu life is over? and how do i know if my power supply supports an rx580? 

a psu can support any part if it has enough wattage since the wattage is 450w it will support it fine.

Just now, MiinD said:

a psu can support any part if it has enough wattage since the wattage is 450w it will support it fine.

i read something online where it says where the psu says 12V if it says 30A it should be fine and mine doesnt say that?

16 minutes ago, Tehqzy said:

the model is DSA4505-6

Ok.  DSA is CWT's bottom of the line Bronze PSU.  It's very old too (10 years).  It's double forward, group regulated.  You can do worse, but not by much. 

8 minutes ago, Tehqzy said:

i read something online where it says where the psu says 12V if it says 30A it should be fine and mine doesnt say that?

Actually, it does.  CWT has 33A on the +12V.  A * V = W.  W / V = A. 

14 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Actually, it does.  CWT has 33A on the +12V.  A * V = W.  W / V = A. 

should i go for it and re use it?

4 minutes ago, Tehqzy said:

should i go for it and re use it?

My biggest fear is the age.  Go ahead and do the upgrade.  If you have problems, odds are its because of the PSU.  But it's not going to kill your hardware if it doesn't work. 

6 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

My biggest fear is the age.  Go ahead and do the upgrade.  If you have problems, odds are its because of the PSU.  But it's not going to kill your hardware if it doesn't work. 

Also as the topic title mentions, could i use the prebuilt case as well? Im asking this because i have no screws that came with it obviously as its like 10 years old and im worried they are important

1 hour ago, MiinD said:

Ok thanks

2 hours ago, Tehqzy said:

Hello?