Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

USB 3.1 Gen 2

PhenixFel
 Share

Hello everyone, 

I own the Asus Prime X470-Pro mobo, and I wanted to see if you guys would give me suggestions on a productive use for the USB 3.1 gen 2 On board front panel connector. I don't have a case that has the ability to take advantage of it so if you guys could give some suggestions on what to get that would be great. To be a little more specific I would like to take advantage of the 10/gb theorical transfer speeds and higher wattage.

 

Thanks.

20200504_195520.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, PhenixFel said:

Oh cool, anything else I can use?

I use mine to charge my phone, USB C to USB C is neat looking.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

I use mine to charge my phone, USB C to USB C is neat looking.

Oh very nice. Good thinking. I hope there are more uses haha.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, PhenixFel said:

Oh very nice. Good thinking. I hope there are more uses haha.

As time goes on, you'll start to see much more USB C devices, and cases that have the connector. Right now it's being included since it's an up and coming standard.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

As time goes on, you'll start to see much more USB C devices, and cases that have the connector. Right now it's being included since it's an up and coming standard.

Well this mobo already has an integrated USB c port in the back so I really do agree with you. This USB 3.1 gen 2 is just in there just not being used. Kinda sad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, PhenixFel said:

Well this mobo already has an integrated USB c port in the back so I really do agree with you. This USB 3.1 gen 2 is just in there just not being used. Kinda sad.

Personally I was considering modding my current case to have a USB C port up front, since I've got a lot of room on my 5.25" bays. There are lots of options for header to female cables

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fp%2F2202097798

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Personally I was considering modding my current case to have a USB C port up front, since I've got a lot of room on my 5.25" bays. There are lots of options for header to female cables

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fp%2F2202097798

Hey thats a great idea!. Is there nothing else that can take advantage of the whole 10gbs other than the usb c?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, PhenixFel said:

Hey thats a great idea!. Is there nothing else that can take advantage of the whole 10gbs other than the usb c?

I mean, NVMe drives and other PCIe connections are really fast as well. If you specifically mean that header, well, it's a USB header so the only thing that can use it is USB

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

4 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

I mean, NVMe drives and other PCIe connections are really fast as well. If you specifically mean that header, well, it's a USB header so the only thing that can use it is USB

Thank you that makes sense. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/4/2020 at 10:47 PM, CRWND_12 said:

you can use it in 10 gigabit networking

Oh awesome! Any hardware recommendations?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

Newegg

×