Newbie requesting help (UK based)

For reference, Virgin use their own lines/infrastructure and most others use BT.

I currently have high speed Virgin to my house (lets call it VN), but also a standard BT (lets call this BTN) line coming in (soon to be activated).

My question is this, can my repurposed Dell Optiplex 755 (soon to be Ubuntu server) be connected to both networks, one for its external IP and one for ease of access from my desktop pc?

I know there may be other ways, even had a look at bonded lines, but alas the two networks will run at polar opposites (VN pulling 340mbps down and 30mbps up, compared to BTN pulling 10(ish) down - well expected anyway)

Many thanks.

From my limited experience having had to do something similar recently, if you connect a PC to two internet facing connections, Windows seems to pick the one with higher network bandwidth (NOT internet bandwidth) as the default. It is still visible on both.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

7 minutes ago, porina said:

From my limited experience having had to do something similar recently, if you connect a PC to two internet facing connections, Windows seems to pick the one with higher network bandwidth (NOT internet bandwidth) as the default. It is still visible on both.

Yeah i get that, i mean i can use google remote desktop to control it, i just wondered if there was a way to have two incoming network connections to 1 pc and keep them separate....?

6 minutes ago, Drich said:

Yeah i get that, i mean i can use google remote desktop to control it, i just wondered if there was a way to have two incoming network connections to 1 pc and keep them separate....?

What do you mean by separate? Not clear on your exact use case. What needs to connect where?

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

4 minutes ago, porina said:

What do you mean by separate? Not clear on your exact use case. What needs to connect where?

PC 1, is my main pc, everyday use and dabbling in gaming, its connected to the Virgin Network (as is everything else in the house),

PC 2, will be the Ubuntu server, will be connected to the BT line network (and will be the only thing connected to it),

Without the use of google remote desktop, will i still be able to monitor it on my Virgin Network pc or is there a way i can have a line into it from the Virgin Network, like i currently do (as they are both on the same network, and i can use Windows Remote Desktop)

23 minutes ago, Drich said:

PC 1, is my main pc, everyday use and dabbling in gaming, its connected to the Virgin Network (as is everything else in the house),

PC 2, will be the Ubuntu server, will be connected to the BT line network (and will be the only thing connected to it),

If PC2 has two network cards, you can connect it to both networks at the same time. Assuming you want it to do internet things on the BT connection, there will be configuration needed for make it do so in preference to the VM connection, which is beyond my skill level. The interface on the VM side will allow other devices on the VM network to access it locally.

1 hour ago, Drich said:

Without the use of google remote desktop, will i still be able to monitor it on my Virgin Network pc or is there a way i can have a line into it from the Virgin Network, like i currently do (as they are both on the same network, and i can use Windows Remote Desktop)

Just to clarify: You have 2 different ISP connections that you want your home server to be able to access simultaneously? And the purpose is so that you can monitor it via remote desktop on the LAN?

If that’s the case, you shouldn’t need to be on the same LAN to use remote desktop software. The whole purpose of remote desktop is to be able to view/control another PC in a completely different location whether it’s in the next room or another country.