What does GTX actually stand for?

GOJIMLG

There's no official explanation.  It's the same with the number scheme in the 16 series.  Marketing rarely makes sense to people outside of the company.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Searching this up gives a reasonable explanation. GeForce in of itself originally came from a "Name that Chip" competition in 1999. The first prefix, TNT, from the RIVA TNT chip comes from the chip's ability to work on two texels at once (TwiNTexel). GTS comes from the GeForce 2 days where the chip doubles the the texel fill rate (texel/sec.) compared to the GeForce 256, allowing the card to achieve GigaTexels / Second, hence the name (GigaTexel Shader). By this logic,

• TNT - (TwiNTexel)
  • GTS - (GigaTexel Shader)
  • MX - (MegaTeXel)
  • GTX - (GigaTexel Shader eXtreme)
  • RTX - (Raytracing Texel eXtreme)

I wouldn't really go with this logic completely since you have your exceptions such as SE, LE, XT, GTO, GS. Another explanation is that these tend to be signified on high end sport cars, so GTX is faster than GTS which is faster than GT. Though, Ti pretty much means Titanium, which signifies a superior product. It's one of those things that is probably marketing jargon.

"Flying is more than a sport and more than a job; flying is pure passion and desire, which fills a lifetime."

————————————————————————————————————————————————

Rig: Ryzen 7 3700X - MSI RTX 2070 Gaming X - 2x8GB HyperX Fury @2133Mhz - ASUS Strix X570-E - Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT -

Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB / 2TB Seagate Barracuda - Seasonic Focus Gold 650W - Corsair 275R

Peripherals: HyperX Alloy Elite RGB - Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro - LG 27GL650F 1080p / 144Hz / 27inch - Logitech Z337

————————————————————————————————————————————————

Youtube: @Cetarii - Twitch: @Cetarii - Steam: Cetarii  [I know very creative naming right?]