HELP! ROG ZEPHRYUS GA502DU won't charge or turn on.

Go to solution Solved by Edward Brinkman,

Unfortunately it sounds like your motherboard is dead. Provided you haven't blatantly mistreated the laptop, you shouldn't have any issues with using the manufacturers warranty to replace or repair the laptop. However, be prepared to be without a laptop for quite a while, as i may take some time for them to honor the warranty and your new/ repaired laptop to arrive.

Backstory:

I bought the laptop Nov '19 so it's still fairly new. I have had do problems with it before until today. I was running a Total War Shogun 2 benchmark until it suddenly shutdown. The shutdown was akin a to TV turning off when you unplug it. It just went.

Problem:

So thinking it was "normal" I try to turn it back on but it won't, plugged the charger in it won't charge and so here I am desperate to find a solution for what could possibly be a dead £1200 laptop.

I've tried the CMOS/BIOS reset (opened the laptop and disconnect battery for atleast 30min) but to no avail, I've searched on the web and that us the most common solution that pops up. While I've seen others that mention that thr motherboard could be dead and I am worried it might actually be. 

I am not too keen on testing the warranty as I have been in the laptop already (to disconnect the battery and upgraded the wifi card).

Hopefully there's another solution out there! It's a shame that a highish end laptop like this could succumb to an issue of this sort.

Had the same thing happen two years ago on an Acer laptop, you can see from the laptop brand in my signature how that went. As a final test you can try powering it on with the battery disconnected, but I wouldn't suggest holding your breath. You shouldn't have any issues claiming warranty on it assuming you didn't go scratching your name into the PCB when you opened it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Unfortunately it sounds like your motherboard is dead. Provided you haven't blatantly mistreated the laptop, you shouldn't have any issues with using the manufacturers warranty to replace or repair the laptop. However, be prepared to be without a laptop for quite a while, as i may take some time for them to honor the warranty and your new/ repaired laptop to arrive.