Strange USB 3 Issue

I have a weird problem with a USB 3.0 port on a build I'm doing for a potential customer.

The USB 3.0 cable to the front ports is split into two from the header but only one of the ports works. I've tried an adapter from a standard USB (2. 0/ 1.0?)  header on the motherboard  and both ports work when I do this, it's only when the USB 3.0 cable is connected to the USB 3.0 header.

Motherboard is a H110m-s2h micro ATX. CPU is i5 6500. GTX 1050ti low profile. 2x4GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz DDR4 (a waste of 3000MHz ram I know as the board only supports  2133 but it's all I have to hand ATM, will change oit out for cheaper stuff soon)

Case is the CiT S506, not overly impressed with the case as the fan was DOA and fitting the dual slot 1050ti was a pain and required modding to get the HDMI cable to fit.  Looks nice and minimalist for a cheapo case though.

Any and all ideas welcome.

CPU - Ryzen 7 5800x3D |  GPU - RTX 3080 TUF OC | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570 | RAM - Patriot Viper Blackout 32GB 3200MHz | Case - InWin 805 | Boot Drive - Corsair MP600 PCIe 4.0  Storage - 2 x 1TB SSD's & 1 500GB SSD | PSU - Seasonic Focus Gold 1000w | Display - ASUS TUF VG27WQ Curved 1440P 165Hz | Cooling - ASUS TUF LC240 AIO + 5 aRGB Fans

OH some pics of the setup, The USB 3 furthest to the right doesn't work.

DSC00517.JPG

DSC00519.JPG

DSC00520.JPG

CPU - Ryzen 7 5800x3D |  GPU - RTX 3080 TUF OC | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570 | RAM - Patriot Viper Blackout 32GB 3200MHz | Case - InWin 805 | Boot Drive - Corsair MP600 PCIe 4.0  Storage - 2 x 1TB SSD's & 1 500GB SSD | PSU - Seasonic Focus Gold 1000w | Display - ASUS TUF VG27WQ Curved 1440P 165Hz | Cooling - ASUS TUF LC240 AIO + 5 aRGB Fans

Sounds to me like either a bad cable or a bad port. If you have a second cable it might be worth it to try it out, if it’s a dead port, you might want to get the board returned.

Given both ports work when you connected it to the USB 2 header I'd say you probably have a dead USB 3 header. If it's anything obvious like a pin bent down you might be able to fix it, but otherwise it's not something you can fix without an RMA.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

14 minutes ago, Quadrum said:

Sounds to me like either a bad cable or a bad port. If you have a second cable it might be worth it to try it out, if it’s a dead port, you might want to get the board returned.

Yeah I was thinking the same until I tried the USB 2 adapter. I've only got a spare USB3 single cable to test, not one that splits into 2 ports. I suppose I could take one from another case but it's a hassle as most front ports are soldered to a PCB that adapts to a USB port.

5 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

Given both ports work when you connected it to the USB 2 header I'd say you probably have a dead USB 3 header. If it's anything obvious like a pin bent down you might be able to fix it, but otherwise it's not something you can fix without an RMA.

Hmmm....Yeah I think the header is the prime suspect, just weird it works with one of the ports and not both. Maybe a voltage issue where the header can only supply enough for one port? If there was a bent pin I wouldn't have ben able to connect the cable surely.

RMA isn;t an option unfortunately as it's a second hand board.....Just have to go with USB 2.0 and tell the buyer.....Not willing to lie by omission.

Thanks for the input both of you :D