Starting a Plex Server

So, I've been tempted to setup a Plex server for a while now. I've toyed about with it on my main pc but never had a server per se.

I've got a decent physical catalogue and would like to start with ripping these onto my pc, seeing as I have already paid for the license to view these this shouldn't be an issue.

Now my problem is, I cannot find a good reputable software that I can rip the dvds onto my PC. Any suggestions?

I've been using MakeMKV for years.  If it's been spying on me, I haven't suffered any ill effects yet.  It is freeware, and it does like to update itself often (I buy a new batch of DVDs probably 2x a year, and it requires me to update it every time), but beyond that I have no complaints -- notably, it is able to bypass copy protection on everything I've ever fed it.  Once you get your DVDs ripped, you'll probably want to compress them -- Handbrake has been my go-to for that task.  

EDIT: Links added

https://www.makemkv.com/

https://handbrake.fr/

#Muricaparrotgang

Folding@Home Stats | Current PC Loadout:

Small                        Bigger				Biggerer				Biggest
Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
FX-8320                      Ryzen 3 3200G			Ryzen 5 3600				Ryzen 7 3700X
120mm AIO                    120mm AIO				Custom 280mm loop			Noctua NH-D15
A motherboard                ASRock B450 mobo			MSI x570 mobo				MSI x570 mobo
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
a melange of HDDs/SSDs       WD 1tb m.2				WD 500gb m.2				WD 1tb m.2/2tb HDD
PNY GTX 1070 x2              GTX 1070				GTX 1070 FE				MSI RTX 2080 TI
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

AnyDVD & MakeMKV as @Rybo suggested, are my go to's. 

If you have BluRay's as well then I use BDInfo & tsMuxer as well for analyzing the BDMV and getting it ready for MakeMKV to do the final Remux / x264/x265 encoding. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

I'd definitely second MakeMKV. I run it in docker within my Unraid box (which is also where my plex server is). Just passed the blu-ray drive through to the container, and mounted the plex media library to the container as well. now I rip all my blu-rays directly from the blu-ray drive located in my Unraid box to the Plex library. the performance is actually running better than when I had the blu-ray drive in my separate desktop PC as well. as its not running the rip over to the SMB share, its just using the local SATA connection to the drives. I'm tending to rip in around 2/3rds the time it did before.

MakeMKV for sure. Also install the Java runtime and configure MakeMKV settings to point to it. With Java installed it will automatically find the correct stream to Rip on Blu-rays that have 100+ streams.

• 2 weeks later...