BIOS version: American Megatrends 1.F0, 3/18/2018

SPECS: 

MSI B350 Tomahawk Mobo

Ryzen 7 1700 CPU

Vega 56 GPU

Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz Memory

Corsair TX650M 80+ Gold Semi-Modular PSU

Hello there,

I had previously built a computer in the summer of 2019, reusing a relatively old GPU from a previous build. This old GPU only required one 6 pin PCI-e connector. Last month, I upgraded to a Vega 56 card, which requires two 6 pin PCI-e connectors. Unfortunately, the card has a tendency to shut down during use, requiring me to reboot via the case power button. From googling, I've found the issue is probably that I'm using a single daisy-chained PCI-e cable for the card. I have moved from the home where I built the PC and, in a really boneheaded move, left all the surplus cabling there. So, my questions are, as someone who has very little knowledge of PSUs:

1) Would it be viable to simply order a new cable?

2) Do I need to use a specific kind of PCI-e cable? What should I be looking out for if I'm trying to purchase one? Will any old cable do?

Thanks so much for any help you give me, it's greatly appreciated!

1 minute ago, Zaddy said:

I had previously built a computer in the summer of 2019, reusing a relatively old GPU from a previous build. This old GPU only required one 6 pin PCI-e connector. Last month, I upgraded to a Vega 56 card, which requires two 6 pin PCI-e connectors. Unfortunately, the card has a tendency to shut down during use, requiring me to reboot via the case power button. From googling, I've found the issue is probably that I'm using a single daisy-chained PCI-e cable for the card. I have moved from the home where I built the PC and, in a really boneheaded move, left all the surplus cabling there. So, my questions are, as someone who has very little knowledge of PSUs:

1 minute ago, Zaddy said:

1) Would it be viable to simply order a new cable?

I'm not sure if the single cable is an issue. The cable should be able to carry up to 300W (as a 6+2 pin can do up to 150W.. there are two.. etc. etc.). Your videocard can only 'ask'  up to 150W via the entire cable (6 pin PCIE does up to 75W).

2 minutes ago, Zaddy said:

2) Do I need to use a specific kind of PCI-e cable? What should I be looking out for if I'm trying to purchase one? Will any old cable do?

No! You need to get a cable specifically meant for your PSU. You can't just order anything.

https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/psu-cable-compatibility

Looks like you need a Type 4 Corsair cable.

Although again.. This shouldn't happen.

I am using a single cable with a 6 pin and 6+2 pin PCIE and my system works just fine.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Odd! Researching the issue led to me countless people saying Vega cards need two seperate PCI-e cable, saying one cable is the cause of the issue. I'm not sure what else the issue could be. Temps shouldn't be an issue because I haven't overclocked it at all and I'm usually putting it under a fairly light load. I suppose I should try reseating the card?

No! You need to get a cable specifically meant for your PSU. You can't just order anything.

https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/psu-cable-compatibility

Looks like you need a Type 4 Corsair cable.

Although again.. This shouldn't happen.

I am using a single cable with a 6 pin and 6+2 pin PCIE and my system works just fine.

I'm glad I had the sense to ask before going off and ordering any random old cable and doing who knows what to my poor equipment. 😅