Is 16gb of ram enough for a 2nd monitor?

Weedl
Go to solution Solved by Mojo-Jojo,

A bit more nuanced: Windows' desktop manager might use a few MB's more, but that'd be negligible. I'm not sure about VRAM usage since you'de be running more pixels, but once again, I think it'd be negligible.

Id like to get a second monitor but worried its gonna choke out my ram while gaming. CPU should not be an issue since i got an 8700K

The two are not connected in any way shape or form. RAM usage has nothing to do with the number of displays.

Just now, 5x5 said:

The two are not connected in any way shape or form. RAM usage has nothing to do with the number of displays.

oh LOL 

A bit more nuanced: Windows' desktop manager might use a few MB's more, but that'd be negligible. I'm not sure about VRAM usage since you'de be running more pixels, but once again, I think it'd be negligible.

Just now, Mojo-Jojo said:

In most cases it is. You'd see a 150-300Mb increase in VRAM usage but on modern 6/8GB cards, that's basically nothing.

I regularly use a second display on my system and only have 8 GB of RAM. It's really only when running intense 3D applications or multiple instances of them that things get a little choked. I think 16 GB if perfectly fine for most tasks.