Some of these settings are hidden or managed by your organization.

I have been getting this message in certain pages in the settings app and at certain times, I am not able to configure anything on the Windows Defender app either.

I did quite a lot of research and did find out this usually is existent on a work/school provided device, but the device I am facing this issue on is my own gaming laptop.

I am running Windows 10 Home on a Lenovo Legion Y540 and with this device being a personal device, I really cannot figure out which organization to go to to get it fixed.

I contacted Microsoft for support and even their tech support didn't fix this issue despite them resetting my copy of Windows.

I use the laptop for my uni projects as well so that reset wasn't a clean install and since we don't have group policy editor available on Windows 10 Home edition, i couldn't figure out how to fix this. I also try mods for older games like MostWanted 2005 and Skyrim and Fallout and stuff and at times these mods get deleted by the Defender and thus I need the access to be able to turn it on and off and fiddle around as I wish to.. (Even with my antivirus program disabled, i need to turn off Windows Defender manually in order to have access to the files without them getting erased).

Thank you in advance for any help/suggestion.

Cheers :)

Screenshot (14).png

Are you signed into to a Microsoft account on the computer? If so is it your uni account/email? 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

Did you add an account under "Access work and school"?

8 hours ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Are you signed into to a Microsoft account on the computer? If so is it your uni account/email? 

Yes, I've linked my Microsoft account to the local account and it is a personal account and it isn't linked to any organization.

5 hours ago, coolvrdude said:

Did you add an account under "Access work and school"?

Nope. I use the local account with my Microsoft account linked to it. I don't remember adding the account under "Access Work and School" or anything..

Edited by vishal_adi

Is this Lenovo's version of OS (aka loaded from recovery partition) or have you used "clean" ISO to install it?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, LogicalDrm said:

Is this Lenovo's version of OS (aka loaded from recovery partition) or have you used "clean" ISO to install it?

I don't know how to figure that "Lenovo's Version of OS" part out. Could you guide me through this?

No I haven't done a clean install from the official Microsoft website yet. I have some submissions happening right now and the softwares I use are quite large and take quite a lot of time to install and such so I've postponed the clean install for now.

(I am an architecture student. so all my BIM softwares and 3D modelling software suites take me about two/three days to download and install with the WiFi speeds available in my region. I cannot afford to pause work with submissions happening everyday and stuff.)

If I do reset it with a clean install, will I be able to get rid of this issue?

15 minutes ago, vishal_adi said:

I don't know how to figure that "Lenovo's Version of OS" part out. Could you guide me through this?

No I haven't done a clean install from the official Microsoft website yet. I have some submissions happening right now and the softwares I use are quite large and take quite a lot of time to install and such so I've postponed the clean install for now.

(I am an architecture student. so all my BIM softwares and 3D modelling software suites take me about two/three days to download and install with the WiFi speeds available in my region. I cannot afford to pause work with submissions happening everyday and stuff.)

If I do reset it with a clean install, will I be able to get rid of this issue?

Laptops come with restore partition which holds manufacturers modified version of OS. To reset OS you are supposed to boot into that partition and load that version, with all drivers and such included. But if you haven't done install with USB ISO, then this is not issue. I would recommend that you contact Lenovo's support regardless.

I have made clean install without using the restore partition (I wiped that completely since it held Win8.1 and I go directly to 10). I do have same thing to show in some security features, mainly I would like to add pincode to login, but can't because of said message. I thought it was because I'm not using Lenovo's version of OS, but just clean OS and driver package from Lenovo. With your issues being also with Lenovo, but without clean install, I think its something to do with Lenovos drivers, BIOS or something like that.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Laptops come with restore partition which holds manufacturers modified version of OS. To reset OS you are supposed to boot into that partition and load that version, with all drivers and such included. But if you haven't done install with USB ISO, then this is not issue. I would recommend that you contact Lenovo's support regardless.

I have made clean install without using the restore partition (I wiped that completely since it held Win8.1 and I go directly to 10). I do have same thing to show in some security features, mainly I would like to add pincode to login, but can't because of said message. I thought it was because I'm not using Lenovo's version of OS, but just clean OS and driver package from Lenovo. With your issues being also with Lenovo, but without clean install, I think its something to do with Lenovos drivers, BIOS or something like that.

I did actually contact Lenovo for support regarding this issue. They were pretty clueless as to how to fix this and directed me to Microsoft's Tech support. Microsoft's tech support wasn't able to fix this issue either and after two resets, I still happen to have this issue which is why I decided to come ask away at the forum.

I live in India and let me be honest, I have a hard time getting any real support from the support teams everytime I contact them because they almost always seem to not know how to fix anything more than the basic issues.