Can someone explain headsets to me like I'm 5 years old?

mishmish

Lately I've been considering a headset, and I'm a bit overwhelmed. As a starting point, I've been referring a lot to the headset pics from PC Gamer.

https://www.pcgamer.com/best-gaming-headset/

I'd say my budget is max $80. Quite honestly, I just don't know the brands, I'm not familiar with them. I'm not sure if all headsets are 'gaming' headsets, or if there is something better quality without the gaming aesthetic. I play a couple games with friends where it would be cool to chat online, and a few single player games, but overall I'd say the headset would get occasional use. I think I've narrowed it down to having a wired headset, and having a detachable mic appeals to me. I wish listed a few on Amazon, but I feel like even though each ones is highly rated, they all have reviews saying the product is trash or stops working. I suppose any item with thousands of review will be that way, but I'm just not sure. These are what I have wish listed so far:

Turtle Beach Recon 200

Sound BlasterX H6

Razer Kraken

And for reference (please don't laugh), I wouldn't say that I'm any sort of connoisseur with audio. My pc uses a usb dell sound bar, I think it was in the $25 range, and I'm happy with it. Any suggestions are much appreciated!

headset is a speaker for your ears that goes on ur ears

Please help me out and donate to my go fund me to help get parts for a gaming pc. Any amount is useful. Thanks! (dm for link)

I've had gaming headsets and so did some of my friends, and I can tell you they are definitely not worth it. If you don't care that much about sound quality, get regular "non-gaming" headsets with a microphone. Maybe try them on and see if they are comfortable. If you do care about sound quality but don't want to spend too much money, most gaming headsets wont give you anything much better than some regular decent headsets, and they will cost more.

If you want good quality sound, get headsets from a proper audio brand like Sennheiser, AKG, or Audio-Technica. Most of them don't have microphones, like the AKG K240, but the sound quality of them is miles ahead of any gaming headphones from Razer or similar brands, specially for only $80

I personally have the Sennheiser Game One, which are more expensive because they are "gaming" and the sound quality is very similar to the AKG I mentioned, but they do have an integrated mic, while the AKG do not. If you have enough space, the AKG with a regular cheap standalone mic would be the best if you don't want to spend a lot.

I wouldn’t go with any of those options. I’ve had a number of headrests an my favorite have been Corsair and Logitech’s offerings. I would go with corsair because they offer a lot of value for the price. The HS60 are a pretty good option. 

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Gaming-Headsets/Stereo-Headsets/c/Cor_Products_HeadSets_StereoHeadsets?q=%3Anewest%3AheadsetAudio%3A7.1%2BSurround&text=&pageSize=12#rotatingText

I've tried the corsair void pro and, while it's comfortable, it doesn't have a good sound quality compared to my sennheiser gsp300 which is sennheiser cheapest headset I could find when I bought it.  The sound quality is rather good imo for gaming and also for listening to music.

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

14 hours ago, Itachi_Uchiha said:

headset is a speaker for your ears that goes on ur ears

At least get your facts straight.

18 minutes ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

At least get your facts straight.

yep

Please help me out and donate to my go fund me to help get parts for a gaming pc. Any amount is useful. Thanks! (dm for link)