RAM compatibility question

Hey there!

I was looking for some fresh RAM for my system but I'm a bit unsure about compatbility.

My current system is a Ryzen 5 1600 on a Gigabyte GA-A320M-S2H. The store in town is offering following RAM. I know that it's overkill for the current system but I'm planning on upgrading in the next months anyway (looking at Ryzen 7 3700x) so I'd hope that I could just carry that over.

This is what I know about the RAM: 

32 GB DDR4 Dual Channel (16 each)
UDIMM, unbuffered, JEDEC: PC4-25600
3200 Mhz; 1,35 V

latency: 16 - 19 - 19

ttRCD: 19

tRP: 19

tRAS: 39

XMP 2.0

It also appear to be some kind of no-name brand, dunno if that would play a role or not.
So far so good, I assume that the older gen ryzen just wouldn't be able to use that ram to its fullest potential, right?

However, there's also a little info text concerning compatibility saying: intel 100, 200, 300 series & most common mainboards (Asus, AsRock, Gigabyte etc).

Will this be an issue (both for the older Ryzen and the one I'm planning to get)?

10 minutes ago, TheGameqt said:

Hey there!

I was looking for some fresh RAM for my system but I'm a bit unsure about compatbility.

My current system is a Ryzen 5 1600 on a Gigabyte GA-A320M-S2H. The store in town is offering following RAM. I know that it's overkill for the current system but I'm planning on upgrading in the next months anyway (looking at Ryzen 7 3700x) so I'd hope that I could just carry that over.

3200 Mhz; 1,35 V

XMP 2.0

It also appear to be some kind of no-name brand, dunno if that would play a role or not.
So far so good, I assume that the older gen ryzen just wouldn't be able to use that ram to its fullest potential, right?

However, there's also a little info text concerning compatibility saying: intel 100, 200, 300 series & most common mainboards (Asus, AsRock, Gigabyte etc).

Will this be an issue (both for the older Ryzen and the one I'm planning to get)?

Ram pretty much ALWAYS work in any case, but not at it's full speed.

Especially for 1st gen Ryzen, it's very very unlikely to work past 2400/2666Mhz, whatever you do. It's a pain to go over it.

Even if the vendor is "unknown", there aren't many manifacturers. What you probably mean is that it doesn't have a recognizable external branding, but the ram chip on the module shouldn't cause any problem.

With new Ryzen you're more likely to work with 3200Mhz without big hassle.

PS: If  you upgrade to the 3700X, check if your motherboard support it.. A320 motherboards aren't really good, expecially with that power hungry chips.

8 minutes ago, 3rrant said:

Ram pretty much ALWAYS work in any case, but not at it's full speed.

Especially for 1st gen Ryzen, it's very very unlikely to work past 2400/2666Mhz, whatever you do. It's a pain to go over it.

Even if the vendor is "unknown", there aren't many manifacturers. What you probably mean is that it doesn't have a recognizable external branding, but the ram chip on the module shouldn't cause any problem.

With new Ryzen you're more likely to work with 3200Mhz without big hassle.

PS: If  you upgrade to the 3700X, check if your motherboard support it.. A320 motherboards aren't really good, expecially with that power hungry chips.

Aight, thanks!

Would the RAM throttle automatically to 2400Mhz or will I need to adjust that manually?

If I actually get the 3700X I'd probably go for a B450 board - don't feel like going for the pricey X570 ones and I've been told that the B450s should do a decent job (not planning on OC or anything)

1 minute ago, TheGameqt said:

Aight, thanks!

Would the RAM throttle automatically to 2400Mhz or will I need to adjust that manually?

If I actually get the 3700X I'd probably go for a B450 board - don't feel like going for the pricey X570 ones and I've been told that the B450s should do a decent job (not planning on OC or anything)

B450 is more than enough really! MSI has good ones. B550 will also come out sooner than later at this point which might be worth checking out.

I suggest you to check the frequency in the BIOS right after you install it the first time.

The RAM should run at the max "stock" frequency your CPU supports. In case of 1st gen Ryzen, that should be 2133/2400Mhz. If you enable XMP/DOCP profiles memory will try go higher than that, but probably will fail unless you start tweaking voltages etc. If it fails, screen usually go black, reboot several times, and then forces you to BIOS while also disabling the DOCP profile and restoring the stock settings. But this behaviour may depend on the motherboard.

26 minutes ago, TheGameqt said:

Hey there!

3200 Mhz; 1,35 V

XMP 2.0

While many companies make the physical board and DIMMs for memory, 90% of DRAM chips in the world can only be one of 3 companies, Samsung, SK Hynix or Micron Technologies.  Chip wise, you should be safe either way.

22 minutes ago, 3rrant said:

B450 is more than enough really! MSI has good ones. B550 will also come out sooner than later at this point which might be worth checking out.

I suggest you to check the frequency in the BIOS right after you install it the first time.

The RAM should run at the max "stock" frequency your CPU supports. In case of 1st gen Ryzen, that should be 2133/2400Mhz. If you enable XMP/DOCP profiles memory will try go higher than that, but probably will fail unless you start tweaking voltages etc. If it fails, screen usually go black, reboot several times, and then forces you to BIOS while also disabling the DOCP profile and restoring the stock settings. But this behaviour may depend on the motherboard.

Thanks! I guess I was just a bit thrown off by the fact that it only explicitly mentioned Intel.

I'll definitely have a look at the B550 boards once they come out.