New 1st Time Build

Hey All,  I needed some help figuring out what components to buy for my new 1st time build. This is a gaming rig but im also learning how to work with hyper-v and will be creating a bunch of VMs. With that being said,  What would be the best MOBO, CPU, and GPU pairings with a budget of under $1000. 

I was watching videos from bitwit and Kyle is very high on the ryzen 5 1600 af. does anyone know if this is a good enough CPU to do the tasks that I will be using it for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.. if im leaving out info let me know. Thanks all!

2 minutes ago, ReignInBlood20 said:

Hey All,  I needed some help figuring out what components to buy for my new 1st time build. This is a gaming rig but im also learning how to work with hyper-v and will be creating a bunch of VMs. With that being said,  What would be the best MOBO, CPU, and GPU pairings with a budget of under $1000. 

I was watching videos from bitwit and Kyle is very high on the ryzen 5 1600 af. does anyone know if this is a good enough CPU to do the tasks that I will be using it for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.. if im leaving out info let me know. Thanks all!

What part of the world are you in.  Prices are different in the US versus Canada and other parts of the world.  So that 1000 will yield different parts....

And what performance/games are you wanting to play?   The parts necessary for 1080p 60HZ are different than 1440p 144HZ

1 minute ago, PyroTheWise said:

What part of the world are you in.  Prices are different in the US versus Canada and other parts of the world.  So that 1000 will yield different parts....

And what performance/games are you wanting to play?   The parts necessary for 1080p 60HZ are different than 1440p 144HZ

Im in the US. I would like to play in 1440p  144hz. The games I typically play are shooters, COD, battlefield, Gears of war. and also Starcraft. 

I am not so sure about the 1600af for your tasks as Starcraft is CPU intensive according to what I saw online.  I am also at a loss for what VM resource needs are so I am hesitant to provide a build.  I certainly don't want to waste your money.   The answers provided should be enough for the builders here with far more experience than I to provide you a solution.

144 Hz at 1440p isn't happening for Starcraft on that budget.  Starcraft relies heavily on a single master thread, you may have stuff spawned off, but your frame rate lives and dies off that main thread.  You'd want to be in the Intel camp on a 5 GHz chip, although even then in say late game 4 v 4 I doubt even a 9th gen Intel locked on 5 GHz is going to make it happen.

The easiest path is just to aim for 60 fps.  You can get a higher refresh monitor as long as you get a good quality one whose adaptive sync works with your chosen GPU brand and has the range to handle the late game FPS drops.  

Also making a ton of VMs means spending more on RAM and disk space for their virtual hard drives which at this budget is going to cost you fps in games since something has to give to cover those costs.  Why exactly are you making a 'ton' of VMs?  

2 hours ago, Egad said:

144 Hz at 1440p isn't happening for Starcraft on that budget.  Starcraft relies heavily on a single master thread, you may have stuff spawned off, but your frame rate lives and dies off that main thread.  You'd want to be in the Intel camp on a 5 GHz chip, although even then in say late game 4 v 4 I doubt even a 9th gen Intel locked on 5 GHz is going to make it happen.

The easiest path is just to aim for 60 fps.  You can get a higher refresh monitor as long as you get a good quality one whose adaptive sync works with your chosen GPU brand and has the range to handle the late game FPS drops.  

Also making a ton of VMs means spending more on RAM and disk space for their virtual hard drives which at this budget is going to cost you fps in games since something has to give to cover those costs.  Why exactly are you making a 'ton' of VMs?  

I am learning Hyper-v for my MCSA and MCSE certs at the moment and really using the system for lab purposes... I mean how much better does 1440P 144hz look compared to a 1080p 60hz. I'd rather stay in the relm of AMD ryzen for their better pricing. Would it be better to go Ryzen 3700X at this point. I know for VM's you need a lot of RAM and a multi core processor. I just want to make sure I cover my bases within the budget. 

At that point your options are either a R5 3600 or a R7 3700X.  With exactly how many VM's you'll have running simultaneously answering the question of which one you want.   This also influences the RAM, etc and in turn will determine how much money you have left over for a GPU after doing the core of your system.

Reality is if your primary purpose is building a workstation type rig and you have a 1k budget, gaming will take a hit.  Especially if you need to throw in a monitor, windows licenses, etc.    

On 4/23/2020 at 8:23 PM, Egad said:

At that point your options are either a R5 3600 or a R7 3700X.  With exactly how many VM's you'll have running simultaneously answering the question of which one you want.   This also influences the RAM, etc and in turn will determine how much money you have left over for a GPU after doing the core of your system.

Reality is if your primary purpose is building a workstation type rig and you have a 1k budget, gaming will take a hit.  Especially if you need to throw in a monitor, windows licenses, etc.    

Thanks for your help. I decided to go even lower budget than initially thought. So I went with a R5 3600 with a RX 570 graphics card. I figure for now ill be playing in 1080p 60hz.