Upgraded to a RTX2060 hoping for insane Frames but now thinking bottleneck?!

ayycharlie

I recently upgraded to an EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 XC ULTRA GAMING, 06G-P4-2166-RX, 6GB GDDR6, Dual HDB Fans from a EVGA GTX 1060 3GB. I was hoping that my frames would sky rocket in Warzone & Valorant but that is not necessarily the case.

For warzone there has been a pretty big boost from ~50 to ~80ish but for Valorant (~90-130) I think the frames are actually the same if not worse?! I've tried changing the settings in both games to try to utilize more of the GPU/CPU there hasn't been an FPS increase although GPU usage was higher. As of now when playing warzone my cpu/gpu is sitting at roughly ~60-70/60-80% usage and for valorant they are both around 50% if not lower sometimes. 

I used the bottleneck calculator and it showed ~12% bottleneck. Is that really that drastic? Would upgrading my CPU make a huge difference to my FPS?

CPU: i7-3770K 3.5

GPU EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 XC ULTRA GAMING, 06G-P4-2166-RX, 6GB GDDR6, Dual HDB Fans

RAM: 32GB

Any thoughts would be appreciated or if you need more info let me know! 

That's a pretty old cpu but honestly I don't think it should really bottleneck too bad. 

I'd recommend installing the Shadow of the Tomb Raiders demo and using their benchmark. It shows you some great graphs comparing cpu usage and gpu usage.  

Attached is one of my benchmarks with my system.

As you can see I have a slight bottleneck sometimes with an i5 8400 and a 5700XT

IMG_1068.HEIC

6 minutes ago, ayycharlie said:

I used the bottleneck calculator and it showed ~12% bottleneck. Is that really that drastic? Would upgrading my CPU make a huge difference to my FPS?

bottleneck calculator means nothing.

you should be getting higher FPS especially in valorant, since that game is made for potato PCs. You should try DDU and installing drivers fresh, just in case.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

bottleneck calculator means nothing.

you should be getting higher FPS especially in valorant, since that game is made for potato PCs. You should try DDU and installing drivers fresh, just in case.

Thats what i was thinking too and I used DDU, safemode, everything and didn't really notice any improvement in valorant. Warzone was a bit better. 

2 hours ago, Dappner said:

That's a pretty old cpu but honestly I don't think it should really bottleneck too bad. 

I'd recommend installing the Shadow of the Tomb Raiders demo and using their benchmark. It shows you some great graphs comparing cpu usage and gpu usage.  

Attached is one of my benchmarks with my system.

As you can see I have a slight bottleneck sometimes with an i5 8400 and a 5700XT

IMG_1068.HEIC 1.42 MB · 2 downloads

I just ran tomb raider benchmark and got the following. Seems like my CPU is holding me back as my GPU in all categories is a lot higher

tombraider_bench.JPG

7 minutes ago, ayycharlie said:

I just ran tomb raider benchmark and got the following. Not sure how to read it..

tombraider_bench.JPG

Your CPU is definitely bottlenecking. The "GPU Bound" metric, which only has a value of 1%, shows that your performance is only bound by the gpu very very slightly. Something else is bottlenecking. If you look at the table in the bottom right corner, you can see that the cpu is consistently pushing out less frames than the GPU. You're going to have to upgrade your cpu to get the full potential of your 2060

3 minutes ago, Dappner said:

Your CPU is definitely bottlenecking. The "GPU Bound" metric, which only has a value of 1%, shows that your performance is only bound by the gpu very very slightly. Something else is bottlenecking. If you look at the table in the bottom right corner, you can see that the cpu is consistently pushing out less frames than the GPU. You're going to have to upgrade your cpu to get the full potential of your 2060

Could anything else be bottlenecking aside from the CPU? Alsooo...what CPU would you recommend :D 

4 minutes ago, Dappner said:

What are your system specs?

image.png.0b1ca3d055ac70370cf79fd44e9c68a8.png

What else is needed? 

Just now, ayycharlie said:

image.png.0b1ca3d055ac70370cf79fd44e9c68a8.png

What else is needed? 

Your ram for example... I know you have 32 gb but how fast is it?

2 minutes ago, Dappner said:

Your ram for example... I know you have 32 gb but how fast is it?

image.png.17ff71aeda8dc75d2dd9b22dea4dd781.png

8 minutes ago, ayycharlie said:

image.png.17ff71aeda8dc75d2dd9b22dea4dd781.png

It looks like you have very slow ram. This is probably most of if not all of your bottleneck. DDR stands for "Double Data Rate" Therefore you have approximately 1300Mhz Ram which is very slow

I'm not going to lie I'm a bit confused by your results.

Your drivers seem to be up to date and your cpu should be capable of handling the 2060. 

The only thing that is incredibly slow is your DDR3 Ram but still...

1 minute ago, Dappner said:

I'm not going to lie I'm a bit confused by your results.

Your drivers seem to be up to date and your cpu should be capable of handling the 2060. 

The only thing that is incredibly slow is your DDR3 Ram but still...

I think it's the ram, as that would explain the low GPU bound percentage, and the fact that the CPU was rendering more FPS than the gpu on the graph

8 minutes ago, Dappner said:

I think it's the ram, as that would explain the low GPU bound percentage, and the fact that the CPU was rendering more FPS than the gpu on the graph

Can anyone back me on this? @Fasauceome

Getting RAM seems a lot easier than replacing a CPU so I can start with that first. 

From the Asus website I can add 4 x DIMM, Max. 32GB, DDR3 2600(O.C.)/2400(O.C.)/2200(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)/2000(O.C.)/1866(O.C.)/1800(O.C.)/1600/1333 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory. 

This would mean any DDR3 ram that is under 2600hz? Am I reading that correctly?

1 minute ago, ayycharlie said:

Getting RAM seems a lot easier than replacing a CPU so I can start with that first. 

From the Asus website I can add 4 x DIMM, Max. 32GB, DDR3 2600(O.C.)/2400(O.C.)/2200(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)/2000(O.C.)/1866(O.C.)/1800(O.C.)/1600/1333 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory. 

This would mean any DDR3 ram that is under 2600hz? Am I reading that correctly?

yeah I think 2600 and under...

1 minute ago, Dappner said:

yeah I think 2600 and under...

You don't even need 32 gigs. Order 2 8Gb sticks and try it out. Should help. If that works you can buy more if you want to. 

When installing make sure you're putting the RAM in the right slots.....

Also, have you considered just upgrading your whole rig, (mobo, ram, and cpu) to something more recent? (350-400$ for something decent)

Your GPU is basically brand new... 

18 minutes ago, Dappner said:

Can anyone back me on this? @Fasauceome

Valorant doesn't appear to be too demanding of ram speed

8 minutes ago, ayycharlie said:

Used market for DDR3, else you're paying DDR4 prices

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Fasauceome said:

Then what else could be causing such a bottleneck because I don't think it's the cpu?

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Where do you typically buy used equipment?

Then what else could be causing such a bottleneck because I don't think it's the cpu?

it's not for certain a bottleneck, could be a software issue.

Where do you typically buy used equipment?

all my DDR3 has come from eBay, or whatever I see on local markets like facebook marketplace.

Primary PC:

21 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

it's not for certain a bottleneck, could be a software issue.

all my DDR3 has come from eBay, or whatever I see on local markets like facebook marketplace.

What kind of software issues are you thinking about? I remember when I built this computer I got the RAM for free and my friend was saying it wasn't the best..

What kind of software issues are you thinking about? I remember when I built this computer I got the RAM for free and my friend was saying it wasn't the best..

Possibly game files issue

Primary PC: