Worth upgrading GPU?

tlmills82

I'm thinking of maybe upgrading my GPU in my PC (as I can't afford a new PC right now) .

My current specs:

Intel i5 4690k
16gb Ram

GTX 970

I'm looking at maybe buying a 1660 ti or something of similar price.  I'll only be gaming at 1080p and I'd like as high of frame rate as I can get for the dollar as I have a 144hz monitor that's going to waste atm.

Just now, tlmills82 said:

I'm thinking of maybe upgrading my GPU in my PC (as I can't afford a new PC right now) .

My current specs:

Intel i5 4690k
16gb Ram

GTX 970

I'm looking at maybe buying a 1660 ti or something of similar price.  I'll only be gaming at 1080p and I'd like as high of frame rate as I can get for the dollar as I have a 144hz monitor that's going to waste atm.

Budget?

SLAMD-XT  Ryzen 2600X 4.125ghz 1.26v~Gigabyte B450 Aorus ELITE~16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz C15~Arcting Cooling Freezer 34 Esports Duo~Gigabyte Aorus RX 5700-XT~CIT chassis~120GB PNY SSD~WD BLUE 3D NAND 1TB SSD M.2~Phobya 120mm G.Silent's~SuperFlower Leadex III GOLD~Razer Basilisk~RedDragon Kumura

1 minute ago, GreyestGoat said:

Budget?

Somewhere around $300 maybe?

wont the 5600xt be better at that price point?

Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

CURRENT PC SPECS    

CPU             Ryzen 5 3600 (Formerly Ryzen 3 1200)

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

MOBO            : MSI B350m Bazooka

MEMORY          Team Group Elite TUF DDR4 3600 Mhz CL 16
STORAGE         : Seagate Baracudda 1TB and Kingston SSD
PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE            : Rakk Anyag Frost
CPU COOLER      : ID-Cooling SE 207
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)
DISPLAY         : SpectrePro XTNS24 144hz Curved VA panel
MOUSE           : Logitech G603 Lightspeed
KEYBOARD        : Rakk Lam Ang

HEADSET         : Plantronics RIG 500HD

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

The only issue is your CPU really, it will bottleneck even a 1660Ti most likely.

For $300 you can get a 5600-XT or 1660Ti, the 5600-XT is the faster GPU, but you should think about upgrading your CPU at some point.

SLAMD-XT  Ryzen 2600X 4.125ghz 1.26v~Gigabyte B450 Aorus ELITE~16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz C15~Arcting Cooling Freezer 34 Esports Duo~Gigabyte Aorus RX 5700-XT~CIT chassis~120GB PNY SSD~WD BLUE 3D NAND 1TB SSD M.2~Phobya 120mm G.Silent's~SuperFlower Leadex III GOLD~Razer Basilisk~RedDragon Kumura

5 minutes ago, GreyestGoat said:

you should think about upgrading your CPU at some point.

upgrading the cpu means upgrading motherboard and ram also though... :(

upgrading the cpu means upgrading motherboard and ram also though... :(

Well that is how it goes...

2 minutes ago, GreyestGoat said:

Well that is how it goes...

So no is the answer.  Thanks.

1 minute ago, tlmills82 said:

So no is the answer.  Thanks.

Personally i would upgrade your CPU, motherboard & ram now then save for a GPU.

Insted of spending  $ just for the GPU, upgrade the MB+RAM+CPU whit ryzen (2600+16 GB ram+ MSI B450 MB) and upgrade the GPU later whit a nvidia 1660 SUPER. This is much better special if you put a SSD there.