intel i4?

On 4/23/2020 at 3:13 PM, ShrimpBrime said:

I've started a couple laptops in this fashion. Benched my Turion II with a couple different processors.  But I don't understand the multimeter really. Why does it need a load. Only complete the circuit, boom power on. 

To each their own my friend. We all do hardware differently.

However, I will say he is much more talented with a soldering iron than myself. I do more Arc and Mig welding than anything honestly.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=0c2a8b7d8afbc61a

LapTop_Startup_Gif.gif

I did a bit of research. Turns out it's a pretty common way of turning on the computer when power button is absent.

When you connect the laptop to the power cable, EC (embedded controller) receives consistent positive voltage. By pressing the power button, you send a negative signal to EC. When you release the button, the signal EC receives become positive again. That positive-negative-positive patten is the cue for EC to turn on the laptop.

In order to turn on a laptop with a multimeter, you have to have the meter on diode mode. In this mode red pin has higher voltage than the black pin. By connecting red pin to the ground (0), black pin becomes negative. Now if you touch the black pin to the pin where the power button supposed to be connected to, it will send a negative signal to EC, just like what the power button would do.

I apologies if I used any wrong terms to explain this process. I did not learn physics in the English language so I probably had a lot of the terms wrong lol

I hope this would help

• 3 weeks later...

As a former engineer from this i4’s competitor company. this seems legit but chip has to be some sample or some binaries got flipped. I used to see many samples with many weird naming lol. This video brought me some good memories. My samples required employee signed software to use though

• 1 month later...

我不敢相信!居然会有人对短接开机都会认为是作弊?这论坛的人都是律师医生吗?

I can't believe it! Some people think that short-circuit booting is cheating? Are the people in this forum all lawyers and doctors?

• 2 months later...