How to install an SSD in a MacBook Pro

The components:

MacBook Pro Retina, 13" (2015)--existing SSD: 250GB, running Catalina 10.15.4.

Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 SSD (replacement)

Samsung T5 external SSD (for Time machine backup, if required)

The pitch:

I want to install a new hard drive in my computer (a 13-inch MacBook Pro from mid-2015)--I am aware that both are SSD's, not 'hard' drives. I know that the 970 does not fit a standard (MacBook), but I have acquired an M.2 to MacBook adaptor which does fit in the original slot. I need to reconfigure the new drive so that it is compatible with Mac OS and loads just like my existing drive. The new drive is currently set to GUID Partition Map and Mac-OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled).

The problem(s):

When I open Disk Utility and try to "Restore" to the new drive (970 Pro) is says that the SMART Status is "Not specified". Is this bad?/how to I change it to work with my computer?

I also want to restore my drive to an external SSD (Samsung T5) to serve as a backup for when I eventually upgrade my laptop (It also says that the SMART status is not verified. How to I change this?)

In addition, the T5 claims to be read-only and as such is unable to hold my Steam library (for now, just Portal 2). How do I format the drive so that it will run?

If none of the above, Is there another way to make this work that I am missing? I don't want to re-purchase all of my software all over again (FCPX; Final Draft; Office etc.), I don't know how to download a copy of Mac OS and I don't know how to use Time Machine to restore my current drive to the new one (at least, not without erasing all of the software purchases).

Below is a screenshot of when I tried to restore to either the 970 Pro or the T5:

Screenshot_2020-04-14_at_15_47_56.png

• 2 weeks later...

All well and good over here, not to worry; I've finally figured out the issue and solved the problem. Unfortunately, installing that new drive meant opening up another can of worms. The most troubling of which is that my copy of Office 2016 is no longer verified and is requesting either a code, or for me to buy it again (I paid for it outright, no subscription). I'd like to avoid having to shell out another £70.00-£100.00, but I am unable to locate the original code. It should be in one of my old emails, but I have checked all the way back to early 2018, when I first brought it, but to no avail. Does anyone know how to locate emails older than that (i.e. contact Google directly) or find the original code?