F.E.A.R 2 Ridiculous Stutter

DCWalt

yes i know it's an old game but i still love the F.E.A.R franchise.

I just installed 2 and have been having to fix a lot of things. got rig of mouse smoothing, fixed the FOV, and had to fix a glitch that caused it to not display an image.

now the only thing left is this obnoxious stuttering when the game loads something in the background or saves. When i walk into a new room or something the frame rate tanks and it happens so frequently that it's rendering the game basically unplayable.

I've done a lot of research but it seems like this problem has been around since the beginning and i'm not finding a solution. i swear i never used to have this problem with this game. any ideas?

System Specs:

Windows 10

Thread Ripper 1900X

Dual GTX 970s

16 gigs of RAM.

There's no reason for it to be my computer unless running it off of a hard drive instead of an SSD would cause such a huge problem for some reason.

Few things I would try

1) Disable SLI, I doubt a dual GPU is a good idea with the game, you will also be perfectly fine with just 1 card.

2) Change affinity in task manager and limit it to 2 threads. When the game released, we had dual-cores and quad-cores, not 8C-16T cpu's. The game engine is probably freaking out and has no clue WTF it needs to do with so much threads.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Just now, samcool55 said:

Few things I would try

1) Disable SLI, I doubt a dual GPU is a good idea with the game, you will also be perfectly fine with just 1 card.

2) Change affinity in task manager and limit it to 2 threads. When the game released, we had dual-cores and quad-cores, not 8C-16T cpu's. The game engine is probably freaking out and has no clue WTF it needs to do with so much threads.

I'll give those things a try, thanks. i don't understand why any of that would only cause problems when loading and saving though.

Just now, DCWalt said:

I'll give those things a try, thanks. i don't understand why any of that would only cause problems when loading and saving though.

It's SLI. I've ran the game on an eight thread CPU fine, it just fucks up with SLI

5 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

It's SLI. I've ran the game on an eight thread CPU fine, it just fucks up with SLI

Setting it to use only 1 GPU didn't help. do i have to actually, completely disable SLI?

37 minutes ago, DCWalt said:

Setting it to use only 1 GPU didn't help. do i have to actually, completely disable SLI?

Yes.