Power Limit Throttling while XTU benchmarking

Go to solution Solved by 5x5,
2 minutes ago, iQuimper said:

So what you say is that i shouldn't bother with undervolting. But what do you suggest i should do in order to fix thermal and power limit throttling?

Repaste with TG Kryonaut and clean the laptop

Hello. This is all on a laptop. So I did a benchmark with Intel XTU and I observed that power limit throttling occurred. I've had throttling, both temperature and power limit, problems in the past (and still have) but only when my package temperature reached like 90+ celsius. Now my package temperature was at ~75 celsius. Now I don't know if that is normal. I'll put the system specs and the undervolting settings that I've been using for a while. Could somebody help me? Thanks in advance.

Undervolting:

• Core voltage offset & cache voltage offset: -0.130 V
  • Turbo boost short power max: enabled & 25.00 W
  • The rest is at default
Spoiler

Operating System
            Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
        CPU
            Intel Core i7 7700HQ @ 2.80GHz    
            Kaby Lake 14nm Technology
        RAM
            8.00GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1197MHz (17-17-17-39)
        Motherboard
            ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. X580VD (U3E1)
        Graphics
            Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz)
            Intel HD Graphics 630 (ASUStek Computer Inc)
            4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 (ASUStek Computer Inc)    
            ForceWare version: 442.74
            SLI Disabled
        Storage
            931GB TOSHIBA MQ04ABF100 (SATA )    
        Optical Drives
            No optical disk drives detected
        Audio
            Conexant SmartAudio HD

That's normal, the 7700HQ is power starved and no amount of undercoating can fix that. Assuming you're getting at least 2.8GHz clocks, I'd just leave it alone

11 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

That's normal, the 7700HQ is power starved and no amount of undercoating can fix that. Assuming you're getting at least 2.8GHz clocks, I'd just leave it alone

Thanks for answering. What exactly does that mean, "7700HQ is power starved and no amount of undercoating can fix that"?

Just now, iQuimper said:

Thanks for answering. What exactly does that mean, "7700HQ is power starved and no amount of undercoating can fix that"?

It means the power target of 45W is not enough for the CPU to sustain clockspeeds. Undervolting won't help as that's only a very minor and small improvement to a shit storm of a situation. The 7700HQ needs about 70W to run full tilt.

3 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

It means the power target of 45W is not enough for the CPU to sustain clockspeeds. Undervolting won't help as that's only a very minor and small improvement to a shit storm of a situation. The 7700HQ needs about 70W to run full tilt.

So what you say is that i shouldn't bother with undervolting. But what do you suggest i should do in order to fix thermal and power limit throttling?

2 minutes ago, iQuimper said:

Just now, 5x5 said:

Ok, thanks for everything!

Just now, iQuimper said:

Ok, thanks for everything!

No problem, also keep the undervolt, it'll also help a bit. Not by much but it's aomwthing

4 hours ago, iQuimper said:

Turbo boost short power max: enabled & 25.00 W

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/97185/intel-core-i7-7700hq-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-80-ghz.html

The 7700HQ has a 45 Watt TDP rating.  Typically the long power limit would be set to 45W and the short power limit would be set to approximately 60W depending on the OEM.

If you have set one of the turbo power limits to 25W to try and control heat then yes, during full load testing, you will be seeing lots of power limit throttling.  That is what you told the CPU to do.