Laptop Modding

Rhys_Butcher
Go to solution Solved by SansVarnic,
10 minutes ago, Rhys_Butcher said:

C5D51EA

Oldie... 

Since I cant find any photos of the mobo and knowing HP's pratices I am going to say that the processor is soldered.

So:

14 minutes ago, Rhys_Butcher said:

would it be possible to re solder  a different CPU to the bored

I would say it depends (most likely not) on your abilities, have you ever removed components from a mobo before? 

If the processor is soldered to a socket it MAY be possible, if the processor is soldered or integrated directly onto the mobo, your most likely not going to replace it and will probably ruin the mobo in the process.

Sorry, I am not trying to be negative just realistic.

If you can open the laptop and get a photo, I can give you a better answer.

Hi guys 

Is it possible to Change a Hp 650 CPU and if so what options are available.

Current CPU is a Intel Celeron B830 @1.8GHz 2 cores , Socket BGA 1356

Much appreciated. 

Hi guys 

Is it possible to Change a Hp 650 CPU and if so what options are available.

Current CPU is a Intel Celeron B830 @1.8GHz 2 cores ,not sure of the socket type.

Much appreciated. 

I doubt it most Laptops CPU's are integrated to the motherboard. Your most likely going to need to change out the Mobo or buy a new laptop..

What is the Brand/Model of the laptop?

*edit

I looked up the cpu and its only available as an integrated processor not as a socketable processor. (means its soldered on)

Product page:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/71141/intel-celeron-processor-b830-2m-cache-1-80-ghz.html

*2nd edit

Ok did some more research and apparently this uses the socket FCPGA988 BUT... this is not guaranteed. I need to know the laptop you are using as it could be soldered or not.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Its a HP, The CPU is soldered to the Motherboard however would it be possible to re solder  a different CPU to the bored.

I am aware that it would be cheaper and easier just to buy a new Laptop but this laptop has sentimental value more than anything else.

2 minutes ago, Rhys_Butcher said:

Its a HP,

Ok got that but what is the Model number.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

10 minutes ago, Rhys_Butcher said:

C5D51EA

Oldie... 

Since I cant find any photos of the mobo and knowing HP's pratices I am going to say that the processor is soldered.

So:

would it be possible to re solder  a different CPU to the bored

I would say it depends (most likely not) on your abilities, have you ever removed components from a mobo before? 

If the processor is soldered to a socket it MAY be possible, if the processor is soldered or integrated directly onto the mobo, your most likely not going to replace it and will probably ruin the mobo in the process.

Sorry, I am not trying to be negative just realistic.

If you can open the laptop and get a photo, I can give you a better answer.

Edited by SansVarnic

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I appreciate being realistic. I have had this laptop for many years and I only use it for lite programming with Linux so it never really gets used. However while upgrading it to a SSD and adding RAM I thought about Upgrading the CPU. I have the ability to Re solder etc etc My request was mostly to see if anyone had done it before and if so what would the possibility of bricking the board be. As it seems like it will be high I will leave it at just that.

Just now, Rhys_Butcher said:

I appreciate being realistic. I have had this laptop for many years and I only use it for lite programming with Linux so it never really gets used. However while upgrading it to a SSD and adding RAM I thought about Upgrading the CPU. I have the ability to Re solder etc etc My request was mostly to see if anyone had done it before and if so what would the possibility of bricking the board be. As it seems like it will be high I will leave it at just that.

Understood.

I have been searching for mobos for your laptop and i found a few that show socketed processors, you might be able to.

Does this look like yours?

s-l1600.jpg

If so you can change the processor.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I haven't fully removed the Mobo from the chassis However the Capacitor by the Wifi card Slot is the same as well as the orange bar-code sticker so Im going to guess its the same board. IF it is so then what would be the upgrade choices?