Sony A6000 as a webcam

Musty

Potentially the wrong thread so feel free to move this! Given the ongoing situation I have a lot more online meetings at the moment. 

I'm switching to my laptop for them to use the inbuilt webcam at the moment.

I was looking at either buying a cheap webcam or hooking up my Sony A6000 with a hdmi capture device so I can stay on my desktop.

Everywhere I've seen recommends an elgato cam link, but it is a bit pricey for my purposes. Does anyone have a more budget recommendation?

Or am I better off just going for a cheap logi webcam for my purposes? (Seems a waste when I have my Sony with some nice lenses already).

8 minutes ago, MustyStag said:

Potentially the wrong thread so feel free to move this! Given the ongoing situation I have a lot more online meetings at the moment. 

I'm switching to my laptop for them to use the inbuilt webcam at the moment.

I was looking at either buying a cheap webcam or hooking up my Sony A6000 with a hdmi capture device so I can stay on my desktop.

Everywhere I've seen recommends an elgato cam link, but it is a bit pricey for my purposes. Does anyone have a more budget recommendation?

Or am I better off just going for a cheap logi webcam for my purposes? (Seems a waste when I have my Sony with some nice lenses already).

I have the Camlink 4k myself and use it with my a6500, it works really well and theres no delay, so if you have the money it's a good buy. Ive used a Elgato HD60 before, which obviously only did HD, but it also had a delay of about 1 sec, which may be unbeneficial if youre trying to use it as a webcam.

Also:

You should have about 3 batteries or a dummy battery with a power input if you plan on using it for a long time at once, as when one battery runs out the second one won't be charged again, at least from my experience

Just now, Obersachse said:

I have the Camlink 4k myself and use it with my a6500, it works really well and theres no delay, so if you have the money it's a good buy. Ive used a Elgato HD60 before, which obviously only did HD, but it also had a delay of about 1 sec, which may be unbeneficial if youre trying to use it as a webcam.

Hmm yeah a second lag would be unfortunate. I might look in to it after pay day.

Actually, looking online now it seems the camlink 4k is out of stock all over now. I guess a bunch of  people had the same issue 😅 

1 minute ago, MustyStag said:

Hmm yeah a second lag would be unfortunate. I might look in to it after pay day.

Actually, looking online now it seems the camlink 4k is out of stock all over now. I guess a bunch of  people had the same issue 😅 

Probably yeah, I heard that the HD60S has no delay, maybe you could get one used, which should be about half price of the Camlink 4K

EDIT: nevermind they're the same price...

Just now, Obersachse said:

Probably yeah, I heard that the HD60S has no delay, maybe you could get one used, which should be about half price of the Camlink 4K

EDIT: nevermind they're the same price...

Thanks for looking though, even used the cam link 4ks are pricey. A lot of the logi webcams are out of stock in the UK at the moment as well :'). Might just have to hold off or the time being